HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

I finally took the hardtail out to get some miles on road/path/whatnot.  No idea how far I went, as I went to a park with a mixed surface walking track, and wound my way through there a bit, and back on the road home.

1) I hate riding on the road by myself.

2) If I do have to ride on the road, I want a road bike.  Sure, a mtn bike with fast (on dirt) tires will be OK, but it's still 50% heavier than middle weight road bikes, and 2.2" knobbies, even jacked up and the fork locked out... not ideal.

3) It was the first solo ride in a while, since Xavier is at a friend's house.  I'm not quite sure if my 7 year old riding partner is faster than me or not, but I'm sure he will be at age 8.

4) I just rode about 35 minutes, but I'm not thrilled with riding in the 40s.  Low 60s seems about perfect riding weather.

5) I'm out of shape, bad, and I need to fix it.

6) As much as I want a road bike, I'm wondering how much my back can take, mileage/hours wise.

7) I can't wait for it to warm up a little, b/c now that I'm in and relaxed a little, I feel rather good.  My ankle also felt pretty strong during the ride, so I'm hoping that I can ride my limp away... it's promising at the moment.

Gonna try to get a ride in with a buddy tomorrow, I think.  If only there was that HC Cycling Team contingent like SoFla and DC have right now...

**BRENT**

Tons of cycling clubs.  I once had the head of the Chattanooga Bike Club track me down.  Bicycling put out a call for bike buying stories for their 2001 issues of the Buyer's Guide.  Mine was on the top left of the page of this story, which was opposite the first page of the guide.  It had my name and home town.  This was back when people had landlines (at least parents did), so they tracked down my mom's number and called.  Needless to say, my mom was a little proud, and a little upset when she realized what the bikes cost, but hey, I got some killer deals :)

I also had a great HS science professor whose husband ran that club at one time or another.  There are also some others I know of, and Vicki, if you ever visit, I'll get you in with the Velo Vixens.

Most of the clubs are heavy on the road biking, and I know of some shop rides that will start back up in a couple months, but I've talked to plenty of people waiting at trailheads and most of them seem to be great people.  Now, to get a road bike...

**BRENT**

M

Did a short ride to try out the new wheels and the new winter clothes.  Everything went well and I actually obliterated every one of my PRs on Strava but the bike seems much less stable with these wheels and tires than with the originals.

i-jgZsqh5-X2.jpg

Edited by VPI

Any idea how good Rocky Mountain are with their aluminum mtb frame warranties?

They're pretty good as far as I know, back in my shop days we never had any issues with Rocky Mountain's frames when dealing with warranty replacements.  If it was a legitimate warranty frame failure it was taken care of promptly.  I have heard of a manufacturing defect in a couple of their models during the mid 2000's that resulted in widespread failures, it was bad enough that Rocky ran out of replacement frames so some people had to wait several months to get their frames replaced.  Those bikes are long discontinued and as far as I know none of their current bikes have any such issues.

So I made the mistake of posting this on Facebook, and tagging a bunch of people, and I may have committed myself to a century (trying to get by with metric, but I may be forced into a 'murrican century).  It's on October 6th around the the Chattanooga area (about 45 minutes away is the starting point), and at least some of the options (100,90,62, and 28 miles) are very close to where I grew up.  It's a pretty part of the world, as long as you're passing through.

The 42$ registration fee, and amenities include a long-sleeved T-shirt, support vehicles, restrooms and showers, well-stocked rest stops and a post-ride meal.

Who's comin' with me?

**BRENT**

Great to hear you finally found a saddle you like, JP.

I really like my Arione so far, I haven't found anything to complain about it and it seems to disappear a few miles into the ride which I guess is a good thing. However, I did find out that the comfort was really dependent on getting the tilt angle correct.

Great weekend of cycling! Had a fun time with V on Saturday then Sunday met a new group and did 35 with them. Mike took me on my inaugural MT bike ride at Markham park. Holt shit that park is like a roller coaster that you control. A bit freaky coming from the road bike world but a lot of fun. After 25 miles that morning I was beat after 20 minutes. 

I can see alternating between the two although I need a more mellow park to start in .

• Like 1

Nope just the track to be uploaded later. I am guessing the 810 is using Strava's computers to do the tracking and just showing the results. Not something I care about when out on a ride though. I need to be given Strava a try though as it may give me some motivation as I am nearly always riding alone. The wireless sync sounds good in theory but I have to boot up my server to do the sync anyway so no use for me.

Edited by Dreadhead