HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Do any of you guys have a good stretching routine for warming up before a ride?  I am trying to get loosened up a bit before my rides hoping that it will help some.  Lower back and knees are where I have the most trouble.  Any help would be appreciated.

Damn, Jeff, what do you need a firefly for with that featherweight to ride?

Carbon fiber frames have a limited lifespan, or rather, a limited mileage after which they start to go soft.  For a pro it's about 1-2 years of racing & training, for the average enthusiast cyclist it's around 5-6 years.  The bike doesn't fall to pieces, it just gradually loses its stiffness as microcracks form in the epoxy and the fibers start to debond.  It's the same thing that happens to my carbon fiber hockey sticks, except the sticks go soft faster since they're abused more.

A titanium frame on the other hand lasts forever and stays good as new unless it's crashed hard or run over by a car.

I'm seriously in love with this bike.

3A199E1B-C0EC-46FA-B230-420017B06E87-228

I rode it around for a short bit and didn't want to get off.  In order to make it fit, the seat's a little lower than I would like, and had to go with an 80 stem, but the fit is perfect.  Vince also changed my shim on my short leg, and I feel like I have real contact with the pedal for the first time.

• Like 3

Carbon does not soften with age. It is particularly used in place of steel in uses where fatigue is an issue. Eg helicopter blades.

Welds actually have huge fatigue issues so chances are that you could fatigue a poorly done weld in ti and steel before the carbon.

Jeff: what Calfee?

Edited by Dreadhead

Mike and John, Amy is having a ride out of her place on Sunday (right next door to Coffee District).  A, B, and C groups to the Palm Beach inlet.  Meet at 7, ride at 7:30. Mike, this is the best part of A1A, and I don't think you've been that far north yet.  Really beautiful and no traffic or lights until you hit Palm Beach.  Nice ride.  I'm probably going to have to ride with the C group and not do the full ride, but I'm joining in.

Jeff, bike's looking snazzy.

Carbon does not soften with age. It is particularly used in place of steel in uses where fatigue is an issue. Eg helicopter blades.

Welds actually have huge fatigue issues so chances are that you could fatigue a poorly done weld in ti and steel before the carbon.

Jeff: what Calfee?

I bought the low end model show bike for my commute and travel.  It has the S&S couplers and full travel kit.  Ended up getting all new SRAM gear put on because they had scavenged pieces for other builds.  They think it will be ready in a couple of weeks.  

Calfee-Luna-Pro-Coupled-SRAM-Force.jpg

Edited by VPI

Carbon fiber frames have a limited lifespan, or rather, a limited mileage after which they start to go soft.  For a pro it's about 1-2 years of racing & training, for the average enthusiast cyclist it's around 5-6 years.  The bike doesn't fall to pieces, it just gradually loses its stiffness as microcracks form in the epoxy and the fibers start to debond.

For mountain biking maybe, and that's a huge maybe based on impact loads and abuse.  For road biking, I call bullshit.  Maybe if this was two decades ago, but not today.  Back it up with some facts, which I suspect will be very difficult if not impossible.  As Chris said, Carbon has fewer fatigue problems compared to metals. 

And I snicker at what Jeff refers to as "low end". :)