krell ksa5 klone

kevin gilmore

HD800 and B22 do not sound good to me either.  HD800 on a Luxman P1 is a beautiful combination to my ears.  But DT880 is anything but balanced or true to my ears, regardless of amp.  Musical is not really a descriptor of a headphone that makes much sense to me.  DT880 is not as accurate and will be more forgiving than an HD800, but that doesn't mean it is better or "musical" in comparison.

Its not understood the need to respond in such a way, you have not heard this combination ...

I have.

Also, queue Shelly that I don't listen to music, I like to watch waveforms.

I am actually providing a useful datapoint for you. If you like "musical" you will probably dislike anything I like, as tastes seem to obey transitivity laws. I would not recommend you try Stax, for example.

Stating the negative can often be a positive thing.

Edited by luvdunhill
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been matching the small transistors for my build using the Peak DCA Pro.   On the first batch of 25 MPSA06g's, my hfe's ranged from 176 to 217 with values equally distributed through the spread.  Thinking I could tighten this up, I ordered a second set of 25.  This time the hfe's ranged from 247 to 299.  Again, with values equally distributed.  That is a big difference between two batches!  Is this normal for different batches?  Of the 2 different batches, which one has the more typical Hfe readings.

Additional information:  Both batches came from Mouser.  Transistors in first batch were marked MPSA06 E07, the second batch were marked MPSA06 C25.  I believe the E07 and the C25 represent date codes.  The data sheet only shows the hfe's as having a minimum of 100.  I randomly checked both batches a few days latter and readings remained the same.

I also tested 50 MPSA56s.  They ranged from 193 to 215.  As it stands, I'll be pairing these with first batch of MPSA06s.

I would appriciate any insights on this.

Me

• 3 weeks later...

I finally finished populating my amp board.  Went a bit nuts on component matching, resistors to less than .1% and transistors to less than 3%.  I wired up the boards and ran some square, sine, and triangle waves through it.  Every thing appeared perfect on the scope.  Bias was easy to dial in.  It was time for some listening.  I spent about equal time listening with my HD 600's and DT880's (600 ohm) and I have to say they both sounded great.   Everything from Gerswin to Joplin to Kodo...this amp does every thing right!   Next step is casing.

Me

post-4368-0-62152200-1405542115_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Hello,

I got word of this great project thru a friend who mentioned Kevin's remark about it being "HE6 killer" with the 35V rail configuration, So i'd like to attempt it to make my K1000 sing with a zest I never quite heard of them yet... 

Unfortunatley i only learned about the alternative, beefier (?) PSU after i had aquired the boards with the orginal PSU. Is it still doable to push to 35v rails with it? I read that entire thread but there's no specific reference about the matter other than Kevin states that the newer PSU can support a balanced configuration.

I'm also not clear wrt to the modification requirements besides the changing of the servo opamp. Moving to 50V electrolytes goes without saying i suppose. anything else? Sorry i'm not very technical minded, please bear with me. 

I understand. and to wrap it up, what adjusted trafo voltage and current output would you suggest?

Anything in particular from Hammond's 1182 series that's the only availablity from Mouser for this matter:

http://il.mouser.com/Power/Transformers/Power-Transformers/_/N-8u9n5?P=1z0j7ozZ1yz4cc8Z1yz4cc7Z1z0wd2bZ1z0wd3aZ1z0j5qxZ1yvyg7o

http://www.hammondmfg.com/1182.htm