kgst

kevin gilmore

It looks ok but I'd go for a single 30VCT@500ma winding instead of two separate windings.

Getting ready to send out for some quotes on a custom transformer. I tried to capture all the needs for a KGST in a single unit, using the out of stock Antek transformer and posted info here as a basis. For those that have more experience ordering custom transformers, do any of the following specs look too constraining or impractical?

KGST POWER TRANSFORMER SPECIFICATIONS:

120VA toroidal audio power transformer with:

-Static shield between primary and secondary coils.

-Heavier gauge wires than normal requirement to avoid the copper lost at full power.

-Magnetic shield around the outside to reduce the magnetic leakage.

-HiPot 3500V between primary and secondary coils.

-Approximate overall dimensions: 100mm diameter x 50mm height.

-Mechanically silent operation.

-45C maximum temperature in ambient 20C environment.

-Mounting hardware included.

-All wires out minimum 300mm long.

ELECTRICAL CHARACTERISTICS:

Power: 120VA

Inputs: 2X

Voltage-Hertz

117V-50/60hz

117V-50/60hz

Outputs: 5X

Voltage@Current

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

6.3V @1.5A

Thanks for any suggestions. I will send for quotes in a few days.

This one would work with 500V capacitors (450V might be ok but we don't work well with "might") and larger heatsinks in the PSU.

http://www.antekinc.com/as-1t300-100va-300v-transformer/

does aavid make anything taller than 2.5 inch? I've got a bunch of those leftover from kgsshv parts binging- they seem like the only things that will fit...

Antek has a very nice transformer at 275V (i.e. close enough) and then you just need a 30VCT transformer for the +/-15V supply

In case anybody was wondering or didn't already know, the secondaries all of Antek's transformers have 2 individual coils which can be wired in series or parallel, so they can be used as center tapped transformers. In this case, this spritzer-selected transformer would serve the role of a 30VCT transformer perfectly :

http://www.antekinc.com/as-0515-50va-15v-transformer/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that not all the valves evolve similarly, and although they are matched at the beginning it will not last for ever. For this reason, I prefer to substitute the need of matching with a procedure of measuring and adjusting a fundamental parameter in the response of the valve.

For example, in a power amplifier with a push-pull of EL34 the procedure is to measure the cathode current and to correct it adjusting the grid bias, but what is the procedure for a circuit such as the KGST, if any?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes - good timing on that.  The pcbs will be with me Monday 11 Aug and I'll be posting out over Monday /Tuesday.

That sounds great Geoff. Many thanks for doing this group buy.

Kevin or Birger, what is the max P-P output voltage of the KGST with 350V rails? ~850-990V?

Also what is the KGST's gain?

I am trying to map out the gain structure of my system.

Thanks.