kgst

kevin gilmore

Thanks Birgir. I was a little worried since I haven't been able to find any matched quads, (maybe I'm looking in the wrong places) so Its good to know I can get away with a set of matched pairs though, since those seem to be available on ebay. Too bad the amp being ccs doesn't obviate the need for matched sets. Don't know where I got that bit from...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I asked both tube depot and the tube store about getting matched quads, but they both told me they don't have a large enough stock to put together a matched quad. I asked tubemazestore this morning, but haven't heard back yet. However it turns out vacuumtubes.net does have a large stock. They said each tube is $4 and there is a $4 per tube charge to match them electronically, so $32 for a matched quad. I'm putting my order in now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The board was a cleanup of some old board design which had the error to begin with so it just continued onwards.  I'm cleaning up my huge stock of K170's so I didn't try the LSK389 until yesterday and then it issue was clear.  That plus one mislabeled transistor and some component fit issues is not bad at all. 

Here is the second KGST up and running.  I don't recommend trying to build it this small...  :)

ljwyfmah.jpg

DJ0L6ieh.jpg

This one was supposed to be silver but I ordered the wrong chassis though I think it looks kinda nice.  The transformer is the BH unit I was having trouble with and here it doesn't complain at all.  The amp is drawing about 65W which is a far cry from the 170W or so from the Blue Hawaii. 

The real problem with something this small is the height.  The tubes are simply too tall to use an 80mm chassis but I got away with it by hand selecting the shortest tubes in stock and using 6mm standoffs.  This one also uses the KGSSHV mini PSU which is considerably smaller than the KGST unit. 

Just noticed that there is a typo on the back panel.  Bloddy "electostatic headphone amps"...  ;D

• Like 6