RIP Lou Reed, 1942-2013

dsavitsk

VU meant a ton to me. In my feistier days I categorize Americans as passive West Coast/LDS/The Doors or active East Coast/Cocaine/Velvets mindsets. Loved Cale v. Reed debates, and all the bands on the Velvets coattails (Replacements, Sonic Youth, etc.). Followed the Velvet Revolution connection in print and theater. Maybe most though I loved the Lester Bangs-Lou Reed Love/Hate relationship so I'll post one of those interviews in tribute. Always strange, but Lou jumped around over the years. 

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2011/nov/08/lou-reed-lester-bangs-interview

Edited by blessingx

I sat next to Lou at a Restaurant in the West Village about a year and a half ago. I didn't want to bother him, as I figured there was nothing I would say to him that he hadn't heard from other fans a million times before. Its sad to see that he is gone.

It's probably a bit shallow of me, but I've loved his role in the movie "Get Crazy"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1m1Bk-mDXM

That movie was a lot of dumb fun, with a great cast including several musicians from the 60's through the 80's.

Another Get Crazy fan here. Thanks for reminding me. The greatest thing is that Lou really was all over the map.

Dan, Berlin is an album I love but to this day can't listen to because of what it does to me emotionally.

As a fan, it was a love/hate thing for me and Lou. I like to think he'd be ok with that.

• 2 weeks later...