Battlestar Galactica?

postjack

Anyone else think this show is just the fucking bees knees? I got into it this past fall. I downloaded the miniseries off iTunes because it was strongly recommended to me from some friends, and from there I was hooked. Watched every single episode until I caught up somewhere in the middle of season 3. I'm enjoying the new episodes (and for the record, I'm enjoying the Dresden Files which is airing before BSG on Sundays, but still not as good as the books).

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The past few episodes in season 3.5 have been only okay, probably because of the lack of a real cylon threat, but I really enjoyed tonight's episode. Chief has always been one of my favorite characters, and I love it, LOVE IT when Odama places the role of the totally cold badass like he did tonight.

Damn missed tonight, still watching the Oscars. Last weeks was ok.

The Woman King was one of the worst episodes in all the 3 seasons though. The two part episode before the mid-season break was amazing.

I always forget about the Oscars. :o I don't think I was too excited about any of the movies this year anyway.

Yeah The Woman King was pretty dull, I can't really see how it fit into the greater scheme of things. But check out last night's episode on iTunes or a repeat if you can, it was a good one. BSG is just so chock full of interesting characters.

I feel like he won simply because he hasn't won all those other times. I thought Letters From Iwo Jima was much better than The Departed.

Yeah I agree, it wouldn't be the first time the Academy did that either.

I actually liked The Departed more than Iwo Jima, but they were both great.

Amazing series, so much better than 24 and all the other stuff that's running right now. First few episodes of the third season were too angst-ridden imo but lately it's been great again.

So is 24 a bad show? I was thinking of renting the DVDs of season 1 to do some watching on the weekends. However, I heard the mom and daughter characters make stupid decisions and always get themselves in trouble. Nothing, I repeat nothing, makes me more angry and frustrated then characters who make piss poor choices. I see it as shitty writing which serves only to lengthen conflict.

So is 24 a bad show?

Here's my quick-take:

Season 1 - good to great, definitely worth watching

Season 2 - eh, somehow too much Kim was a bad thing

Season 3 - gawd awful, my wife and I couldn't finish it

After the season 3 debacle we decided to just pick it up this year and maybe go back to Season 5 which I've also heard was good this summer.

So is 24 a bad show? I was thinking of renting the DVDs of season 1 to do some watching on the weekends. However, I heard the mom and daughter characters make stupid decisions and always get themselves in trouble. Nothing, I repeat nothing, makes me more angry and frustrated then characters who make piss poor choices. I see it as shitty writing which serves only to lengthen conflict.

24 was decent for the first few seasons, but you are correct, the wife and daughter make the dumbest mistakes and I found myself getting more and more frustrated at them as I watched the show.

Back to the DS9 DVDs then. :)

Oh hell yeah man DS9 represent! O0 (OK, I'm official a major NERD now) I've been watching the star trek series in order...Next gen, DS9, Voyager is coming up next and then on to Enterprise. DS9 is really getting good now too (season 4-5).

I've been toying with checking out Battlestar Galactica...this thread has strengthend my resolve.

On another note, I'm just about ready to give up on LOST too. Seasons 1 and 2 kept me going, but three is just messing with us. I kinda get the feeling that the writers have no clue where they're going and the payoff is going to be a major letdown. I hope I'm wrong, but I might wait for the series to play itself out before spending anymore time watching it.

Oh hell yeah man DS9 represent! O0 (OK, I'm official a major NERD now) I've been watching the star trek series in order...Next gen, DS9, Voyager is coming up next and then on to Enterprise. DS9 is really getting good now too (season 4-5).

I've been toying with checking out Battlestar Galactica...this thread has strengthend my resolve.

On another note, I'm just about ready to give up on LOST too. Seasons 1 and 2 kept me going, but three is just messing with us. I kinda get the feeling that the writers have no clue where they're going and the payoff is going to be a major letdown. I hope I'm wrong, but I might wait for the series to play itself out before spending anymore time watching it.

Yeah I'm a total nerd. ;D I've been watching Next Gen since grade school, but I had never watched a single episode of DS9, and I decided to pick up Season 1. I'm almost done with it, and have bought Season 2. I've read that in season 2 is where the over arching thread arc begins to develop. Its a cool series; if nothing else Quark and Odo make it worth it.

Also, definitely check out BSG, it is not just a great sci-fi show, but a great show, period. You need to watch the four hour mini-series/pilot first. I don't know if this is available on DVD, but it is available on iTunes. Then hop right into season 1. Adama is such a badass, he will fuck you up man.

also the hot chix. Avoid spoilers around the internet if possible, the writing, dialogue, and acting are all top-notch. Well, you can tell a few of the actors aren't as experienced as some others, but... for the most part its great. No stupid cheezy shit: when the show gets emotional, it feels true.

One thing about Battlestar Galactica is that imo it's less of a sci-fi series with poltical, religious and social undertones but more of a political, social and ethical dissection of human society shown through the lense of a self-provoked human exodus in a sci-fi setting with religious undertones. It might as well take place in ancient Greece or anywhere else but the sci-fi element paradoxically injects a certain sense of realism and relatedtness to present day events by provoking a sort of retrospective on the fictional past (i.e. our today) and telling an epic story about how a small group of human beings lost in space arrives at conclusions as we might today. Basically, they're starting from point blank with a handful of people and have to survive somehow. A microcosm encompassing a huge area of relevant topics with lots of moral dilemmas without offering perfect solutions. It's much more realistic in terms of human interaction than any other sci-fi show I've seen - perhaps as much as to defeat the purpose of a sci-fi show altogether, especially in the third season, but I like it. The characters are the most realistic I've seen in a long time. I think this show is mature, smart, exciting, comprehensive in scope, and simply a pleasure to watch.

The third season could use some space battles though.

One thing about Battlestar Galactica is that imo it's less of a sci-fi series with poltical, religious and social undertones but more of a political, social and ethical dissection of human society shown through the lense of a self-provoked human exodus in a sci-fi setting with religious undertones. It might as well take place in ancient Greece or anywhere else but the sci-fi element paradoxically injects a certain sense of realism and relatedtness to present day events by provoking a sort of retrospective on the fictional past (i.e. our today) and telling an epic story about how a small group of human beings lost in space arrives at conclusions as we might today. Basically, they're starting from point blank with a handful of people and have to survive somehow. A microcosm encompassing a huge area of relevant topics with lots of moral dilemmas without offering perfect solutions. It's much more realistic in terms of human interaction than any other sci-fi show I've seen - perhaps as much as to defeat the purpose of a sci-fi show altogether, especially in the third season, but I like it. The characters are the most realistic I've seen in a long time. I think this show is mature, smart, exciting, comprehensive in scope, and simply a pleasure to watch.

x2

The third season could use some space battles though.

x2 :laugh: