Ultrasone Edition 9

postjack

Guest sacd lover

I'm not surprised you didn't like them when I heard the edition 7's I thought they were the worst headphones I'd heard. I really doubt Ultrasone can make a decent sounding headphone.

I didnt want to be purposely inflammatory but the 2500's are without a doubt the worst headphone I have ever heard. I was sitting in a training at work yesterday .... bored as with most trainings. I statrted listing all the headphones I have owned, all that I have heard .... and the ones I have yet to audition. I cant think of one, even including Grado sr-60's or AKG K 81DJ 's that I would not pick over the Ultrasibilacesones. ???

Guest sacd lover

Speaking of headphones that DO NOT suck, I just bought a pair of RS-1s locally for a decent price; the seller is dropping them off to me tonight. O0

Good for you 8) .... as good as my Extreme sounds with low impedence headphones I may eventually pick up a pair of RS-1's .... or the MS Pro.

I didnt want to be purposely inflammatory but the 2500's are without a doubt the worst headphone I have ever heard. I was sitting in a training at work yesterday .... bored as with most trainings. I statrted listing all the headphones I have owned, all that I have heard .... and the ones I have yet to audition. I cant think of one, even including Grado sr-60's or AKG K 81DJ 's that I would not pick over the Ultrasibilacesones. ???

And someone thought I was crazy for asking to compare the Ed9 with the K81 DJ :P

Guest sacd lover

Eh. the only sony headphone I would listen to over a pair of sr60's is the r-10.

Biggie.

Ageed .... but the Ultrasones are $265 and my point was the $69 sr-60's and 81DJ's are less flawed and would be more enjoyable to me.

• 4 weeks later...
My favorite little trend is how every headphone now has at least two versions, the bass light and bass heavy.

I've noticed that too. I wonder how often it's actually due to someone hearing both "versions" and noticing real differences? More likely just people redefining the argument so they don't have to disagree.

On the topic, I've been borrowing some Ultrasone HFI-2200ULEs. I honestly quite like them but the sibilance is rather extreme. Anyone who can't stand sibilance would absolutely hate these. My tolerance for sibilance is somewhat high and in most other regards they seem quite nice, not too relaxed, not too forward and the bass goes quite deep. I wouldn't buy them myself but I'd sooner wear them than the SR-80 or HD555.

I listened to the 2500's at a meet yesterday, and I really didn't like them very much. I probably would rather listen to an SR-60, at least it has a midrange ;)

On the other hand the Ed.9 sounded pretty good, with bass that reminded me of the L3000. The main sonic flaw was a small soundstage. I still think it costs too much considering the build quality, and the very small earcups.

I don't know. For some reason I was almost swayed by mulveling into considering getting a UE9. Of course, my tastes is total shit and I think the SA5k is great, but whatever. High cost in relationship with relatively POS construction is probably the only things keeping me back from trying them out for a little bit. It doesn't hurt to try out something that has potential though. I'm interested because Mike has the same tastes in sound and music as I do. Of course, he's been known to be rather excited about almost everything. (Some might say it's because he's hyping them, but I'm sure that's not the main factor.)

Peter, I'm interested in hearing more of what you think about them since you seem to have the similar tastes in sound as I do. I'll need to do some investigations and figure out what you think of different headphones in relationship to each other to get a better feel for your tastes though. :D Haha, anyways, that'll come later.

Guest sacd lover

I've noticed that too. I wonder how often it's actually due to someone hearing both "versions" and noticing real differences? More likely just people redefining the argument so they don't have to disagree.

On the topic, I've been borrowing some Ultrasone HFI-2200ULEs. I honestly quite like them but the sibilance is rather extreme. Anyone who can't stand sibilance would absolutely hate these. My tolerance for sibilance is somewhat high and in most other regards they seem quite nice, not too relaxed, not too forward and the bass goes quite deep. I wouldn't buy them myself but I'd sooner wear them than the SR-80 or HD555.

The sibilance of the 2500 in my setup was extreme. I dont tolerate excess sibilance at all, period .... and I absolutely hated the 2500's. And yes I agree with you ID, where are the 2500's mids?

I listened to the 2500's at a meet yesterday, and I really didn't like them very much. I probably would rather listen to an SR-60, at least it has a midrange ;)

On the other hand the Ed.9 sounded pretty good, with bass that reminded me of the L3000. The main sonic flaw was a small soundstage. I still think it costs too much considering the build quality, and the very small earcups.

I hated the 2500's. Terrible headphone. It just sounds like Ultrasone don't know how to design a headphone driver.