slow forum

postjack

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I came this close to ordering a NS/Stick a couple years back and learning how to play it. I am familiar enough with guitar to be able to play it by tapping, which, because I come from a keyboard background, is more intuitive then playing the classic two-handed style.

Still haven't ruled it out, though.

And yes, Tony Levin is amazing, but it's Greg Howard (whom I've seen live and conversed with) who really blows me away. Check out "Water on the Moon" -- a 60 minute unedited live solo Stick performance. He's the guy in the link you linked to, above.

Oh, and obviously: Stanley Jordan, whom I've seen play live on multiple occasions.

Thanks for the other recommendations as well, it's reassuring to hear a couple of familiar names (Michael Hedges -- whom I've had the pleasure of seeing live before his untimely passing -- and Michael Brooke); I'll check out the others.

Yup GH is the Stick Master... just figured I'd toss in the Levin reference as he's a bit more recognizable :D I've never tried a stick and am not much of a tapper, despite being somewhat passable on piano... what I'd love is one of those NS electric upright basses, which are SUPER fun to play!

Actually, I came this close to ordering a NS/Stick a couple years back and learning how to play it. I am familiar enough with guitar to be able to play it by tapping, which, because I come from a keyboard background, is more intuitive then playing the classic two-handed style.

Still haven't ruled it out, though.

And yes, Tony Levin is amazing, but it's Greg Howard (whom I've seen live and conversed with) who really blows me away. Check out "Water on the Moon" -- a 60 minute unedited live solo Stick performance. He's the guy in the link you linked to, above.

Oh, and obviously: Stanley Jordan, whom I've seen play live on multiple occasions.