slow forum

postjack

Understood. I just like the juxtaposition.

BTW, your iPhone case looks similar to my Mophie Juicepack Air, which does come close to doubling my battery life. I don't have to plug into the car power to get a 15 minute charge up a few times a day anymore. I'll usually have between 70-90% of my battery life left at the end of the day now, instead of running out 3-4 hours before bedtime.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, your iPhone case looks similar to my Mophie Juicepack Air, which does come close to doubling my battery life. I don't have to plug into the car power to get a 15 minute charge up a few times a day anymore. I'll usually have between 70-90% of my battery life left at the end of the day now, instead of running out 3-4 hours before bedtime.

I lifted the photo from someone else, but the case now sounds tempting to me.

...and now for something complete different. I'm a big fan of the early 80s hardcore band Minor Threat. The cover of their earliest 7" single (and several collections on tape and CD) features this image of singer Ian MacKaye:

2dujayr.jpg

It's impossible to know Minor Threat without thinking of this picture. It's so iconic that Nike did made an "homage" to it for their own nefarious purposes:

o12uc.gif

t7iko8.jpg

This is the original cover to Minor Threat's last official release, "Salad Days." I've always had mixed feelings about it, there are some decent songs (like Cashing In) but Minor Threat don't kick nearly as much ass when they slow down. I've been looking at that image for about two decades now, and I only recently noticed that it was taken with a fisheye lens. Some creative snooping dug up this uncropped original:

ao81fm.jpg

I love the skateboard and the rotary push mower. This is another image from the same era, taken with a conventional rectilinear lens:

e5i9z6.jpg

Looks like Ian got mad at that front step. Thus ends this evening's mini-lesson on the Photography of Minor Threat.

Phoenix man killed in gun-safety demo

ARIZONA DAILY STAR

Tucson, Arizona | Published: 05.18.2009

A 26-year-old Phoenix man accidentally killed himself early Sunday while explaining gun safety to two Sierra Vista residents.

Samuel Benally Jr. was at an apartment on West Tacoma Street when he said guns should be kept unloaded because people could point them at their heads, said Sierra Vista police Sgt. Brett Mitchell.

Benally then demonstrated by putting his own 9mm Ruger, which he believed to be unloaded, to his head and firing it, Mitchell said.

Benally was flown to University Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead, Mitchell said.

An investigation is ongoing, but police do not believe alcohol or drugs were involved, Mitchell said.

:palm: