HC NBA Ballers

TMoney

2 hours ago, Voltron said:

73 wins! 402 3-pointers. MVP unanimously?

He should be unanimous, but you never know... there are a ton of voters and always a handful of homers.  Nobody has ever won unanimously, but what he did this year was off the charts.

Towns should also unanimous as Rookie of the Year, but almost for sure won't be.  There are some real jerks in the New York media who will vote for Porzingis.  My guess is that Towns will get 126 out of 130 first place votes, but deserves all 130 (assuming it's the same number of voters as last year).

Glad I decided to watch the Lakers game tonight instead of the Warriors. Kobe was unreal in the 4th quarter.

• Like 1

That was a fun first weekend of games. Top 3 seeds in the West all romped, but that was to be expected.

Detroit came so close to stealing game 1 from Cleveland.

I am looking forward to watching Toronto fight for their lives tonight as an appetizer before a GSW main course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mypasswordis said:

This entire first round is basically blowout after blowout... I'm going to wait until the next round to start watching seriously. The end to that GSW game was nuts, though. Hope Steph's ankle is good enough to play on soon.

Yup, now that the whole Kobe thing is finally over... I mean he was great and all, and his final game was amazing, but what a circus it has now become in professional sports with these season-long sendoffs. First, it was Kareem, and that was fun, but unfortunately (in many ways, although it's good fun in other ways) that started a trend that will never end.

Mariano Rivera, Derek Jeter, even Paul Konerko with the White Sox. All franchise guys, so the local fans love it, but do we really need people selling bags of air from Kobe's final night at the Staples Center on eBay? Plus, it was about $5k per ticket, on average, for "normal" seats. Dunno. Just seems unnecessary. I like the Peyton Manning approach. Play your last game, and then a week later, say, "Ya, I guess that was it..."

NBA Playoffs? I thought that didn't really matter until June? As with hockey, allowing 16 out of 30 teams into the playoffs is kind of silly. Honestly think that 8 would be much better, but then on the flip side, even more teams would then tank (and much sooner in the season) for draft positioning.

• Like 1

I can't bring myself to care about tonight's Hawks/Celts tilt, but Friday is going to be a hell of a night of games.

Can Indy tie it up?

Can the Clips take the Blazers to 7 and give Curry more time to heal up?

Can Miami come back after that heartbreaker last night?

Should be fun!

On 4/24/2016 at 10:52 PM, Wmcmanus said:

Yup, now that the whole Kobe thing is finally over... I mean he was great and all, and his final game was amazing, but what a circus it has now become in professional sports with these season-long sendoffs. First, it was Kareem, and that was fun, but unfortunately (in many ways, although it's good fun in other ways) that started a trend that will never end.

Mariano Rivera, Derek Jeter, even Paul Konerko with the White Sox. All franchise guys, so the local fans love it, but do we really need people selling bags of air from Kobe's final night at the Staples Center on eBay? Plus, it was about $5k per ticket, on average, for "normal" seats. Dunno. Just seems unnecessary. I like the Peyton Manning approach. Play your last game, and then a week later, say, "Ya, I guess that was it..."

NBA Playoffs? I thought that didn't really matter until June? As with hockey, allowing 16 out of 30 teams into the playoffs is kind of silly. Honestly think that 8 would be much better, but then on the flip side, even more teams would then tank (and much sooner in the season) for draft positioning.

As a Laker fan, I totally agree. These last few years with Kobe getting paid ridiculous amounts as a send-off have partially ruined the franchise, though the FO has made plenty of other mistakes as well and then there's the whole Chris Paul veto thing. His last 60 point game was one for the ages, though. I am very glad they finally fired Byron "Tank God" Scott, took them long enough. Hopefully they will pick wisely in the draft and Luke Walton will turn things around. The losing mentality and complete lack of defense is ingrained in the players right now so it will take some effort.

As to your second point, I also agree, but I think it's also because stars are now teaming up to form Big Threes and whatever you want to call them. It's only going to get worse with the huge salary cap bumps in the next couple of years from TV deals/ads on jerseys. The players simply make so much that they don't mind getting paid a few million less to try and go for the ultimate goal of a ring. There's so much disparity between the top 4 or 5 teams and the rest of the league, with GSW and the Spurs clearly dominating every other team. Yesterday's Spurs/OKC game was just embarrassing... I stopped watching at the end of the half.

• Like 2

Crazy game in San Antone, I'm really happy for OKC. They may have gotten away with the non-call, but Ginobli might have been too close to the inbounder.

-

This is a totally classless move to grab an OKC player during the last possession of the game.

On 5/3/2016 at 2:38 AM, TMoney said:

Crazy game in San Antone, I'm really happy for OKC. They may have gotten away with the non-call, but Ginobli might have been too close to the inbounder.

-

This is a totally classless move to grab an OKC player during the last possession of the game.

That was bad by the fan but the better team won that night.  As a Spurs fan, I'm worried that the Thunder is starting to get themselves together.  KD was so clutch down the stretch in the forth quarter of Game 4 and Kawhai & LaMacus were bad when it matters most.  I wouldn't mind seeing the Thunder competing with the Warrior for the conference final given that it is likely will be more fun.  Last night Curry was so precise from the arc...man he was so great in the OT and pretty darn lethal!  Eastern conference is just so weak with bunch of bad teams for Lebron and the gang to roll over.  My Halwks were not even competitive.  :angry:

• Like 1

Last night's OT was so epic. Do you guys think Curry missed the shot on the final possession of regulation just to light up the Blazers in OT?

Yeah it sucks, the East is a bit stronger than last year but they are all still pushovers in the playoffs. Only eastern conference team that had any shot of beating the Cavs was probably the Heat, with a healthy Bosh and Whiteside. They should just do away with East/West and take the top 16 in standings.

Can't wait for game five between OKC & SAS.  Personally I would I love for the Spurs to win, but I will be okay seeing OKC making it as well.  I wonder who will come out of the West though....  I think both OKC & SAS can best the Lebron and the gang but I'm not sure if OKC will be up for it.

Edited by purk

No clue what happened with the spurs last night but it was very sad to see them go out in that fashion. Last 2 games they just couldn't get any offense going. Cutting down a 26 point lead in the 4th to 9 was fantastic to watch. OKC just got some crazy blocks in the last few minutes. Kudos to them but my dreams of watching spurs and the warriors die yet again this year. Only team left that I care about now is the warriors who should handily take care of business now that Steph is back. 

• Like 1

I think they lost their identity the last couple of games.  I think the Spurs are now a two persons team featuring the on/off LaMarcus & Kawhai.  They were lacking good ball movements and no longer interest in shooting three.  I notice this was coming and was definitely disappointed at the outcome for sure.  Duncan & Manu were really showing their ages, more so on Manu than Duncan IMO.  Parker is now trying to fit in to the new system.  I'm afraid this is the end of the Spurs.  They used to have great ball movements which often lead to a good chance of getting a 3-point shot.

I don't really mind seeing OKC against GS given that it will definitely be more competitive. 

GSW v. OKC should be really fun to watch. The stars are going to shine bright. With Steph, Klay, Draymond, Russ and KD there are 5 of the top 15 players in the NBA that are going to be on the floor to start these games.

I think Warriors get it done in 6.

I hope this series makes up for what seemed like a slightly disappointing OKC v. SAS conference semis. The first and last games were blow outs, and two of the closer games were marred by horrific officiating on the final possession.

--

If Toronto can even get a game off Cleveland I will be impressed.

I'm disappointed with the Spurs but TD was not really himself so his defensive presence was clearing missing.  He didn't add much on the offensive end either but can you that much more from a 40 years old?  I think LaMarcus got tight when it matters most.  I thought this guy is great but he is far from being TD.  Tim is now a shell of himself but during his prime years it always take couple guys to guard him.  Now he has no vertical lift whatsoever.

Very much looking forward the game between the Thunders and Warriors tonight.  I still think OKC has plentty of chance to beat warrior.  With Westbrook guarding Stepth, anything is possible.  

Totally in a agreement regarding the Eastern conference here.  What a joke of a play off on their side.  Wonder if Bosh will ever be back next year.  By then the  two of them  will be too old to contend with Lebron and his crew. 

Another stupid miss by ref.  Why the hell can't they just freaking a review a critical play such as this?  Westbrook walked like 5 steps and still it wasn't a travel?  They should really introduce a challenge system like tennis.  Two reviews per each half.