recommendations for good XLR interconnects

earwicker7

I don't want to say money is no object, as I would soon find myself owning a $40,000 cable or something crazy like that, but I'm willing to drop a few pennies. I just ordered a modded Opus 21 cd player and will be purchasing an amp soon (can't decide on whether to get some Stax Omega IIs with the tube amp or maybe just get a balanced amp of some sort for my HD650s). I'd like to get cables that are in "the right league" for this kind of product and am completely overwhelmed by the amount of cables available.

To me cables are the final step in tuning the system, once you have the rest of the gear, listen for a while to see which way the sound needs to be adjusted, then get the cables.

This is the advice I was given. I just use Blue Jeans LC-1 interconnects and Volex power cords. Not until I'm 99.9% satisfied with my other components will I start considering buying spendier cables.

To me cables are the final step in tuning the system, once you have the rest of the gear, listen for a while to see which way the sound needs to be adjusted, then get the cables.
Although this isn't exactly wrong, it takes a trained ear to be able to imagine what's wrong with a system and be able to imagine what cables it would take to fix it. For example, I've seen Hirsch be completely unhappy with the Meridian source until he used a very specific pair of interconnects and power cord (and headphone amp and headphones). It's really hard not to be able to determine what a source (for example) is capable of without a lot of trial and error, when it comes to cables. So although I fundamentally agree with this suggestion, I would amend it as follows: try a lot of different cables, expect a lot of trial and error.

• 1 month later...

This is an old thread, I think earwicker stopped posting here when we gave him too much shit about his amp.

cos he made the decision and he can decide with his own ears he dont care what we think we dont have a monopoly on what sounds good a LOT OF POEPLE LIKE RAYS AMPS

cos he made the decision and he can decide with his own ears he dont care what we think we dont have a monopoly on what sounds good a LOT OF POEPLE LIKE RAYS AMPS

He does have an isolation booth though, which comes in handy...unless you live in quiet ol' New Hampshire O0

This is an old thread, I think earwicker stopped posting here when we gave him too much shit about his amp.
No, I think it's because we gave him too much shit about his isolation booth. Either that, or he realized that there's no point in getting an isolation booth and getting away from it all, unless he also forgoes the internet.

Lame man, you're making fun of the way he looks :/

I'm not really making fun of the way he looks, but rather bringing into our little recollection game his response when we told him people would think he was a michael jackson type freak when they saw his isolation booth.

I never insult anyone because of how they look. I will insult someone based on how they smell though. Stinky people drive me crazy.

This is the advice I was given. I just use Blue Jeans LC-1 interconnects and Volex power cords. Not until I'm 99.9% satisfied with my other components will I start considering buying spendier cables.

I use both the Blue Jeans and Volex. Pretty well satisfied. Good advice IMO.

• 2 weeks later...