best closed headphones?

earwicker7

Until I get my isolation booth set up in my house (no, it's not a joke), I need a set of headphones that block out the neighbors. If I hear "You cheat on me again and I'll knock your fucking teeth out!" interrupt Beethoven's 9th one more time, I think I'll scream >:(

What would you guys say is the best set of closed cans? I'd prefer balanced and am definitely open to mods.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

W2002s bought and paid for. Damn you, eBay!!! All I wanted to do was look at prices, and you had to have a limited edition set up there. I'm drinking Pabst tonight.

Oh no. The W2002? Eeeeks. :P Let's hope for the best. (Many don't like the sound of it, haha.)

Oh no. The W2002? Eeeeks. :P Let's hope for the best. (Many don't like the sound of it, haha.)

Yeah, they're closed, so I don't expect miracles. Still, all of the reviews I read (granted, I kind of jumped on them because of the limited edition thing, as I've regretted not grabbing rare stuff before once it was no longer available) were good... what are some of the perceived negatives?

You could always go the custom IEM route. About a grand, sensas, ultimate ears, or westones...

Then there's the leatherhead (L3000) and R10s.

Slightly down that path, I have a pair of sony CD3000s for sale that some people really like :)

I was looking at the Stax 4070; has anyone tried it?
Carl has. I'm getting a pair, for no other reason than to try them. Stax markets them as one of their top two headphones (the other being the Omega II's), and that alone was enough to entice me, but Carl's review made me drool even more.

It's over on that other H**d-F* site, but he's also a member here.

The W2002's were great headphones, I kind of regret selling mine, but I just never listened to them. I never heard wrong with them what everyone else didn't like about theirs.

They're also easily the most gorgeous headphones ever, anywhere.

You want to sell me your L3000 :D :D

Carl has. I'm getting a pair, for no other reason than to try them. Stax markets them as one of their top two headphones (the other being the Omega II's), and that alone was enough to entice me, but Carl's review made me drool even more.

You know, I was THIS close to buying the Stax for the same reason you gave. The only thing that kept me from doing it was the whole "This will never work on any other amp" thing. That's still a big bite to chew, IMO.

I know it's not a dandy answer, but I think the Senn hd280 Pro is the best sounding sealed cans that are normally available. But in your shoes, I think I'd might consider some Sony R10s. They're damn good sounding. The IEM choice is the real good one for sealed cans, but comes with the problems of having to take them in and out in used around the home---but they do sound better than full sized sealed cans in my experience. I lust for a pair of R10s.

I know it's not a dandy answer, but I think the Senn hd280 Pro is the best sounding sealed cans that are normally available. But in your shoes, I think I'd might consider some Sony R10s. They're damn good sounding. The IEM choice is the real good one for sealed cans, but comes with the problems of having to take them in and out in used around the home---but they do sound better than full sized sealed cans in my experience. I lust for a pair of R10s.

R10s were my first choice, but who has them that's willing to give them up? Nobody from what I can see. I think I'll be happy with what I got.

So the IEMs really sound better than sealed cans? For some reason, I figured they'd sound like crap. Guess when I think earbuds, I think of the crap 99% of iPod listeners use.

Either you are confused or I was. I don't like Audio Technicas in general, but I've never heard the L3000s. You may have read me saying that the R10 sucks... and if so, I should probably qualify that. It doesn't *suck*, but I was expecting more given the cost. Even on a SDS-XLR with tubes chosen specifically for the R10 I preferred my K340s. That said, this is all under meet conditions [the first national] so it should be taken with a grain of salt. ;)