postjack asks DIYer how much stuff costs

postjack

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my experience, a gain of 2 is going to be rather troublesome with K340's especially if you listen at higher volumes. For me it's borderline, and I listen pretty quiet, I'd recommend a gain of about 4-5 or so with the K340 for people who listen at normal volumes.

thanks aerius, this is helpful advice, gives me something to chew on.

the K340 is a pretty remarkable can. It does classical, jazz, rock, and everything in between with aplomb. Might be worth building a system around. :)

this would never happen on postjack's new forum :(

Yes, at my forum I'll have a team of monkeys constantly editing posts to make the admin (me) look smart and sexy. :dance:

I sold the cans to laine (riceboy). i just have to copy everything jpak does since he is *the* pizz one squared.

My balanced beta22 (which is in my possesion again, for now) is set with a gain of 2 (which is effectively a gain of 4 when balanced). For me, to my ears, etc., it worked well with the Denon D2000 and also worked just fine for the K1000.

interesting! between you and aerius, it sounds like choosing the gain is a crap shoot. :-\

i think you're going to have to try to audition one, postie.

true dat. not a huge deal anyway since I'm pleased as punch with my Dynahi. I hate to go all patrick82 on you all, but it really is remarkable the difference that brickwall has had on my system. its made me a lot more content with all my components.

besides, my next amp purchase should probably have some tubes up in there anyway. i need more tubes.

I wouldn't go higher than a gain of 4/5 as well.

A gain of two in a balanced Beta 22 is not enough to make the K1000 shine. Let's face it folks there are two kinds of dynamic amps for headphones, one that drive the K1000 and is too much for other headphones and one that drives everything but the K1000. If you're ging to do a K1000, do it fucking right and get a Pass or First watt amp or clone. Fucking with all these dynamic amps that can do regular cans and K1000 is bullshit. (PS...been drinking tonight a little, I love you all).

I would not go below a gain of 4, this should cover you for even the least efficient headphones

Ideally you want the pot about half way up.

My understanding is ideally you want the pot all the way open, because that's where you have the least resistance, and things will sound their best.

My understanding is ideally you want the pot all the way open, because that's where you have the least resistance, and things will sound their best.

Yes and no. The tracking is best at the middle point on the pot. So unless you can always listen to the amp at max and somehow still be at exactly the right volume [which would mean you likely only have one headphone and one type of music you listen to], it is better to be in the middle.

A gain of two in a balanced Beta 22 is not enough to make the K1000 shine. Let's face it folks there are two kinds of dynamic amps for headphones, one that drive the K1000 and is too much for other headphones and one that drives everything but the K1000. If you're ging to do a K1000, do it fucking right and get a Pass or First watt amp or clone. Fucking with all these dynamic amps that can do regular cans and K1000 is bullshit. (PS...been drinking tonight a little, I love you all).

Good advice. My friend says that he does not believe his Beta22 is a good amp for his K1000.