postjack asks DIYer how much stuff costs

postjack

But purely looking at the numbers, I think the Beta22 would be a superb amp for a K340.

I'll find out soon enough. >:D

Does anyone know what value pots you need for the beta 22 and the mini cubed, the beata 22 seems to say either 50k or 10k will work?

The real answer is that it depends on whether or not your source is going to have issues driving a low impedance load. I used a 10k pot on my first beta and had no issues with a variety of sources. Also, from what I'm told the only sources that are likely to have issues with low input-impedance amps are tube output sources. And even then if the tube output has a buffer on it (some do, some don't) it should be fine.

Still not sure what I'm going to use for pots on my balanced beta since I've moved to 4 channel vs. 6. Also, for gain I'll be going either 2/4 or 3/6. If the K340s don't have enough balls with the 6 via balanced drive then so be it. I'm not re-configuring my whole rig for them, my name ain't Jay. ;D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, unless you're a wuss, if you configure your rig to sound good with K340's, it will still sound great with any other dynamic headphone. :D

..save perhaps the K1000, but I think it is pretty much given that those require a power amp or transformer output to sound their best. ;)

My issue deals primarily the gain they they require. If they'll work balanced with a gain of 4 or 6 off my beta22 they'll be here to stay.

Yeah, I know what you meant. :)

With my amp and the K340's it usually is at around 12 oclock, but on certain recordings can get as high as 3-4 oclock. With grados, it is more like 9-10 oclock and up to 12 with some. So, still completely usable for any headphone. I just threw in the 'wuss' thing in keeping with the spirit of this forum. :D

A gain of two in a balanced Beta 22 is not enough to make the K1000 shine. Let's face it folks there are two kinds of dynamic amps for headphones, one that drive the K1000 and is too much for other headphones and one that drives everything but the K1000. If you're ging to do a K1000, do it fucking right and get a Pass or First watt amp or clone. Fucking with all these dynamic amps that can do regular cans and K1000 is bullshit. (PS...been drinking tonight a little, I love you all).

Probably not, but certainly loud enough. With the gain of 2 on my balanced beta22 I generally have the stepped attenuators at 2:00. I agree with you, though, on doing it fucking right, so I have a F2 clone that's just about done. I also have a passive ground beta22 I finished a week or two ago that I'm using as the preamp and also to amp headphones aside from the K1000 if I ever feel like it.

Probably not, but certainly loud enough. With the gain of 2 on my balanced beta22 I generally have the stepped attenuators at 2:00. I agree with you, though, on doing it fucking right, so I have a F2 clone that's just about done. I also have a passive ground beta22 I finished a week or two ago that I'm using as the preamp and also to amp headphones aside from the K1000 if I ever feel like it.

Yep that's ultimately what I'm working towards for a dynamic rig. F1 clone, Beta 22 as preamp/other dynamic headphone amp and an electrostatic rig of some sort.

• 2 months later...