Woodworkers of Head Case unite!

swt61

1 hour ago, naamanf said:

Tried out a new finish today, Total Boat Halcyon in satin. So far pretty impressed (minus the price). As easy and as fast drying as lacquer in a water based varnish. After thining a little with water it was easy to spray with a HVLP gun. Being a marine varnish it should be pretty durable.

ADA889FE-1CFD-4245-A030-008348A6BEA2.jpeg

Well, their boat stuff works pretty well. Here is a repair I need to fair down and paint - waiting for the weather to warm up.

5ED0FB88-5971-4032-B0F2-59EF832231A1.jpeg

1E91B6FA-0A9F-445A-844D-43070DCD28A2.jpeg

3F6AC7E9-64BD-4FCC-BC45-6D4E26B7DB13.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Woodworker II.  40 or 46t, I think, stays on all the time here. 

I have been trying to figure out dust collection without too many blast gates, etc. on my crappy little 1250 Rockler system.  Going to end up spending more on hoses/adapters than the cost of the saw. 

I assume you guys all use both ports on the bandsaws?

Edited by VPI

I think you won't go wrong with the Forrest blade. But a Ridge, Tenryu, etc. would surely be just about as good.

I generally only use one of the bandsaw ports. I have not notice it working any worse doing so.

And I don't have my whole shop plumbed. Instead I have a single large hose that I move from tool to tool. Works just fine. My #1 shop rule is that I am never in a hurry, so I don't mind a few extra minutes moving things around.  https://www.rockler.com/rockler-dust-right-4-quick-change-handle-with-expandable-hose

• Like 1

I actually have two dust collectors, a rolling 750 that sits with the drum sander on the other side of the garage and the 1250 hanging on the wall. 

I have been raiding the 3D collection trying to layout my equipment in my tiny space. Think I will have to turn the bandsaw and let it stick into the other space when I am using it. 

DD7E61D8-64FC-47D4-BDFB-0491BFF00316.jpeg

324656F2-6642-4DC4-940D-07B7BA13CB45.jpeg

B8459E3D-DDF8-49D1-897F-1ECA2769BAB0.jpeg

21 hours ago, naamanf said:

I have a set of the Woodpecker stops on order, but shoot a link to the other ones. I figure worst case I can also make some.

The desk looks awesome. I really like using a HVLP. I have a Devilbiss Finshline, but picked up a Harbor Freight Black Widow. I really like the HF gun, shoots way better than the Devilbiss. 

capspray_115_maxum_elite_gun.png

Al's siblings contacted me a while back. They wanted to buy him a tool for his shop, and asked my suggestion. I told them to buy a Titan Capspray 115 HVLP system, and made sure to send a link to the right one. It's the Mercedes AMG of the HVLP world. Built like a tank and smooth as silk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of finishes, I'm anxious to try Rubio Monocoat. It's a wax oil product that many Youtubers are enamored with.

I have to admit that Doug has steered me toward natural finishes. One big benefit being ease of repairing/refinishing such a piece. No need to remove the old finish first. Just reapply and buff. And the dull glow fits my esthetic sensibility.

RMC Oil Plus 2C.jpg

• Like 2

Looking for some full extension, undermount drawer slides for my IKEA hack projector cabinet - seems like no one has stock and it’s really hard to determine all the “required accessories” one needs. I started looking at Salice and looks like maybe they got bought and renumbered their parts? making it extra confusing… basically looking for 13-14” for a shelf (so no face) to hold the projector… ugh.

7 minutes ago, luvdunhill said:

Looking for some full extension, undermount drawer slides for my IKEA hack projector cabinet - seems like no one has stock and it’s really hard to determine all the “required accessories” one needs. I started looking at Salice and looks like maybe they got bought and renumbered their parts? making it extra confusing… basically looking for 13-14” for a shelf (so no face) to hold the projector… ugh.

Should be able to call a local cabinet hardware supplier and pick up some imports. Normally you will want the slide, the front adjusters, and the rear mounting bracket. 

• Like 1

Going from a shared 110v 15amp for the whole garage to dedicated 220 or 110v 20 amp circuits per tool will be a game changer. I will be able to cut wood with the lights on again. 🙂

Trying to decide now if I just buy the 3.0 HP 220v motor from SawStop instead of doing the conversion on the 1.75. The SawStop guy said it was not necessary for most shops, but at just $500 more it seems worthy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Trying to layout outlets for the electrician to run. 
Thinking 2x220 in the middle, plus a quad of 20amp 120 and the existing duo of 15amp 120. 20amp pair by the MFT for the Festool equipment and then a 20 amp for the dust extractor with an extra 220 for future upgrade there. Might run a 230 and a pair of 20 amp to the ceiling as well. 

F7D67510-8405-44D3-8C38-C0D2C71F5AB2.jpeg