Mmm Phillips Double Crown Dac Chips are in

Icarium

http://picasaweb.google.com/asebastian2/DoubleCrown/photo#5107114672554852322

So pretty! These are the ultra rare and highly acclaimed double crown version of the 20 year old R2R non-OS Phillips TDA1541A chip. Haven't been tested by my DAC builder to see if they are legit ;p But hopefully they are!

They use this chip (only 1 or 2 though) in the highest end Zanden dac and various old school players like the Marantz CD-7. Apparently crazies in Japan build dacs with 32-64 of these chips per channel. Very pricey at

$100-$150 if you can find them ;p

Asebastian sourced them for me and is planning on sticking them in a modified version of this dac:

http://www.ecdesigns.nl/dacs/di8m/di8m.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=79452

in a custom chassis ;p

Excited! But sadly this project will have to be sidelined with the purchase of my transport and lack of funds :( Ohwell at least I have the pretty chips... been wanting something with them in it forever. But finding a Marantz cd-7 is tough (It even has a digital input!).

Yeah I don't doubt that they are vastly over priced and aren't the best possible chip. In fact Filburt told me he prefers some other R2R chip that I can't remember off the top of my head. Still, I seem to go for the overrated products and I kind of wanted to hear for myself how it sounds.

Yeah I don't doubt that they are vastly over priced and aren't the best possible chip. In fact Filburt told me he prefers some other R2R chip that I can't remember off the top of my head. Still, I seem to go for the overrated products and I kind of wanted to hear for myself how it sounds.

There's actually several that are nicer. Burr-Brown PCM63, PCM1702, PCM1704. I have the PCM1700 in my CD player, not quite as a good as it's only an 18-bit chip as opposed to the 20 & 24 bits of the others. Still pretty happy with it though.

There's actually several that are nicer. Burr-Brown PCM63, PCM1702, PCM1704. I have the PCM1700 in my CD player, not quite as a good as it's only an 18-bit chip as opposed to the 20 & 24 bits of the others. Still pretty happy with it though.

Do the extra bits help when you're decoding 16 bit data?

I tend to prefer the pcm1704 but out of the current delta-sigma dacs i like the AKM4396 the best followed by the pcm1792/4/6

I actually like the AK4396 quite a lot and probably the upcoming AK4397. I am definitely going to get them in my other source when I have the money for an APL mod. Still I am very curious to see if the retarded premium I'm paying on the double crown can equal or beat the AKM chips in redbook.

I actually like the AK4396 quite a lot and probably the upcoming AK4397. I am definitely going to get them in my other source when I have the money for an APL mod. Still I am very curious to see if the retarded premium I'm paying on the double crown can equal or beat the AKM chips in redbook.

If you like that NOS sound then it might just. Me, not such a fan.

If you like that NOS sound then it might just. Me, not such a fan.

I have a Wavelength Audio Cosine dac right now. i forget which chip it is but Filburt might remember he took a look inside. It's a great sounding DAC owns the FUCK out of the Monarchy M24 I used to have.

The improvements on detail/tone are subtle and slight, but the very fact that it has like 3x the soundstage was a big deal to me. the Monarchy was remably narrow.

The TDA1541 hype is pure bullshit.

I'm guessing he prefers many other chips over the TDA1541.