new dac considerations (for computer transport)

mjg

Yeah the inputs are fairly limited I'm not totally sure why but I think he has some sort of hardcore proprietary processing on the usb that makes it sound the best.

Can always look on the used market. There's a used cosecant version 1 for 2150 or so on audiogon last time I looked.

I hear version 2 is significantly better though.

that review he had a link too was really interesting. The guy was comparing it to the reimyo players, I had no idea there were usb only dacs by design that could compete with 20 grand cd players heh.

Yeah I mean I'm skeptical of that too... but I really don't find any flaws with the sound. But 20k Reimyo? that seems pushing it. I still stand by my stance that no matter how good the dac is. dac + cd player > dac + computer and depending on the cd player it could be superior to dac + computer....

Still if any company out of those I've heard could do it it might be Wavelength.

You can pretty much pick any relatively popular source and find some article, somewhere, that says it is the best source ever that beats even $250,000 CD players.

For example, from a Positive Feedback review:

"The Sony DVP-NS 999ES CD/DVD/SACD player with Signature Truth modifications by ModWright is state of the art. There is no better-performing or more musical digital playback unit available today. More expensive and more flexible digital front ends are available, but the Modwright/Sony 999ES defines its category, and thrills the listener. Highest accuracy plus ultimate musicality equals state of the art in my book. The ModWright/Sony 999ES is that and more, with excellent DVD playback as a bonus. If you already own a 999ES, you are only $1300 away from digital perfection as it currently exists."

see, I own digital perfection. ;)

Hmm. Where do i get a new one? What are my options?

Uh, as far as I know I've built the only one currently in use by jp#'s on head-fi. Not that it's incredibly complex, any DIY'er worth a poo can build a sigma11 set to output 12VDC/1A. FWIW John likes the sigma11 powered mini-dac more than the transporter.

Thanks guys, im 1100 poorer (so far haah).

i went and got a demo unit of a North Star m192 dac. I figured at worse I can get all of my money back, or more... and the reviews i read made it sound like worth a try atleast. The really cool thing about it is the is2 interface, I'm thinking of trying that is2 to usb converter thing I was reading about on the empiricle audio website. For now though, i'll see how spdif works out, so i can atleast tell if i like the sound of the dac or not. Since the dac was cheap enough, i can afford to hold on to both and compare them side to side. Pretty psyched about the acquisition.

Thanks guys, im 1100 poorer (so far haah).

i went and got a demo unit of a North Star m192 dac. I figured at worse I can get all of my money back, or more... and the reviews i read made it sound like worth a try atleast. The really cool thing about it is the is2 interface, I'm thinking of trying that is2 to usb converter thing I was reading about on the empiricle audio website. For now though, i'll see how spdif works out, so i can atleast tell if i like the sound of the dac or not. Since the dac was cheap enough, i can afford to hold on to both and compare them side to side. Pretty psyched about the acquisition.

It is nice DAC, high five

I compared the DAC1 side by side with the DA10, preferred the DA10.

I later compared the DA10 side by side with the M192, and the M192 was better by a looong shot, I sold the DA10 in a week. It was definitely a very big source upgrade. I would only upgrade the Northstar if I really needed a source with a built in preamp, which I might if my K1000/Avantgardes get a nice pair of monoblocks. But more than likely the lowly headphone setup will stay seperate from the speakers.

wow so the dac is here already. I'm listening with the meta42 i got my dad for now, my extreme should hopefully be here next week. All i can say is, so far i really like it. Very smooth, yet forward sound that goes great with grados. Very articulate, open sound. I ordered an emu 0404 off ebay that ill use for the transport for now, but right now Im using my motherboards spdif which is decent I suppose. I hope this one is a keeper, gonna let it break in while Im waiting on my amp.