Hardwiring K1000s

boomana

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, Gene's report does sound good. He owns or has owned all the mentioned headphones, plus a slew of others. Also, I have never known him to be prone to exaggeration or new toy syndrome. He'll say nothing at all until he's sure. We've also shared similar opinions on other headphones (e.g., the Denons), so I trust his ears moreso than others' who opinions I may also respect.

I'm very excited.

Very nice impressions from Gene. Seems like a good idea to jump in this group buy if you're looking for new/more headphones since you're saving a pantload of money.

I know. That's why I did it.

Oh wow, seems like we might have a real winner here. How much is the system by the way?

Approx. $1500.

I'm hoping to make CanJam and I know there will be a TakeT there now... Interested to see if my amp can drive them directly. Did you get the balanced version?

There will be at least two, Gene's and mine. I think he's using an Accuphase source and amp right now. I'm going to to try it out with my F1 and Heed Obelisk and use whichever sounds best. I have no idea what source I'll have by CanJam time.

There will be at least two, Gene's and mine. I think he's using an Accuphase source and amp right now. I'm going to to try it out with my F1 and Heed Obelisk and use whichever sounds best. I have no idea what source I'll have by CanJam time.

I pulled Gene's set up from another thread: Accuphase DP-77 player through a Plinius M8 preamp and Accuphase A-20 power amp.

Hydrocity: not a chance...at least not yet.

Well, they basically took a Heil air motion transformer and stuffed it into a headphone. The Heil AMT, when used in speakers as a tweeter, is quite possibly the best tweeter I've ever heard.

Speaking of Heil AMT, has anyone heard Ergo AMT? I have Ergo 2, and been wondering how its big brother sounds.

Speaking of Heil AMT, has anyone heard Ergo AMT? I have Ergo 2, and been wondering how its big brother sounds.
hirsch, thrice, stevieo and I have all heard them, and I think the other three actually owned them for a while. They were a rather special headphone, but I never got into it, and don't really remember it that well. They might; I don't know, you'd have to ask them.

Duggeh on the other forum has my old AMT. Decent headphone that could have been great with different amplification. Unfortunately, the Ergo amp left something to be desired, and their transformer for using power amps was unbearably bright. However, I've since learned that the transformer might not be needed, and it could be possible to hook the AMT directly to a power amp by removing the proprietary plug and using regular speaker connectors (see AKG K-1000). Whether or not that would fix the brightness (the transformer is used as a tweeter, after all) is another question.

Duggeh on the other forum has my old AMT. Decent headphone that could have been great with different amplification. Unfortunately, the Ergo amp left something to be desired, and their transformer for using power amps was unbearably bright. However, I've since learned that the transformer might not be needed, and it could be possible to hook the AMT directly to a power amp by removing the proprietary plug and using regular speaker connectors (see AKG K-1000). Whether or not that would fix the brightness (the transformer is used as a tweeter, after all) is another question.

Thanks for the response, hirsch. I may have to try the recable/reterm option if another pair ever shows up on for sale again.