RSA B-52 Review on enjoythemusic.com

purk

And, of course, it is undeniable that blocking out extraneous sounds ? which are always there in my downtown Chicago apartment ? promotes a degree of concentration and focus on the music that is quite different from ordinary listening

That's some HD600 he got from ray. Military grade isolation.

Headphones are not normally my choice for listening to music, except of course for iPod/Walkman duty on long trips. I have never cared for the feeling of having something clamped around my ears
Uh yeah, at this point I think I'll pretty much ignore what this guy has to say about headphones as an audiophile listening experience. The comment about the HD600s providing isolation seals the deal.

Guest sacd lover

I wouldn't use it with low impedance headphones. It sounded like ass with the PS-1, the HR-2/PS-1 sounded much better.

I thought the B52 was supposed sound the best ever with PS-1's from the Head-Fi meet reviews. ???

Guest sacd lover

If it was I wasn't hearing it, the bass was truly terrible. I thought it sounded much better with the HD600 balanced.

That makes more sense given how high KG said the output impedence was. But, I have read more than one post exclaiming how good the PS-1 is with the B52.

Didn't Iron Dreamer say that in the one CA meets?

I thought it sounded much better with the HD600 balanced.

out of every headphone I tried this is the match made in heaven. I never heard balanced 701's but at a few meets I was impressed with the 701 and b52 combo. my issue is getting a 701 balanced with a 20ft stock cable, if anyone knows if i could then please point me to the direction.

i read the isolation part in terms like "headphones isolate you from the world" instead of actual isolation for the headphones.

I have a feeling this is just a start of the reviews for this bad boy, can not wait till Stereophile gets their hands on one. of course the reason is I having the first made production so of course i am interested.

I liked the B52/PS1 combo. It was close to a year ago when I heard it, so I'll leave out time-addled impressions, but I've since heard PS1s on systems I liked and didn't like, and I remember liking that one quite a bit. I should have a chance to hear it again in a couple weeks, so I'll see if new impressions match old memories.

The PS1 wasn't bad out of the B52 when balanced... certainly not the best combo I've heard, but not hideous. It definitely did a better job with the K340's than the PS1's, but I ultimately preferred my amp. [which also sounds better with the Grados, though again not perfect]

That makes more sense given how high KG said the output impedence was. But, I have read more than one post exclaiming how good the PS-1 is with the B52.

Didn't Iron Dreamer say that in the one CA meets?

What? Iron Dreamer said something good about a RSA product? Oh shit.

LOL I certainly don't recall saying that I liked the B52/PS1. I don't really like the PS1 as it is. Let alone Ray's pair with gawd-awful heavy wiring which makes the headphone even more uncomfortable, and ratshack pads which make it bassier/boomier.

I've only listened to the B52 once that I can recall, over a year ago. Nothing great, nothing awful, just a garden-variety balanced amp, and quite an expensive one for what it is. As I owned a Headamp Reference at the time, which certainly sounded better to me, the B52 at 3x+ the price drew little interest from me, other than to oogle at it's hugeness and exposed parts when Ray cracked 'er open.