DAC (or CDP with digital input) with preamp function

Salt Peanuts

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Have you tried comparing crazy powerful tube monoblocks to your Krells Tom?

I have heard the 2.4s and the 3.7s with the big VTL amps. They sound good, but not better. The owner of the amps was using the 450s and has now sold them because of constant fuse blowing. He is now using the Ayre V-1xe amp with his 3.7s.

I have had the following amps in my system with my Thiels. All were nice but the Krell/Thiel combo is something special.

Parasound JC-1 monoblocks (owned)

Pass 350.5 (audition from dealer)

Ayre V-1xe (owned)

Krell FPB 650M monoblocks(own now)

If, and when, I upgrade amps I would like to audition the Mcintosh 1201 monoblocks and the Krell 750MCX monoblocks, and the new evolution Krells. The big Mac amps are really nice. I have heard them with several systems and other Thiels. But i am pretty happy where I am I now.

I have really been on a preamp quest for the last couple years.(six different ones) I am hoping the Singlepower that is being built will be the end of that. I heard the SDS-XLR in my system and it was VERY NICE. So I am having Mikhail build me a souped up Maestro-XLR with a new tubed power supply. Should be here by turkey-day.

just wanted to point out this looks badass. :dance:

Thanks, it makes wonderful music. My wife and I have been lucky to have a patient local dealer who doesnt mind lots of auditions. the finishing touches have been the Audioquest cables. (Sky ICs and Mont Blanc speaker cable) I cant wait for the SP preamp to get here. If sounds as nice as the one I already heard here I am in luck. Mikhail says it should be even nicer because of the better power supply! ;D

I am hoping the Singlepower that is being built will be the end of that. I heard the SDS-XLR in my system and it was VERY NICE. So I am having Mikhail build me a souped up Maestro-XLR with a new tubed power supply. Should be here by turkey-day.
Nice! Can't wait to see the beast. :)

I have really been on a preamp quest for the last couple years.(six different ones) I am hoping the Singlepower that is being built will be the end of that. I heard the SDS-XLR in my system and it was VERY NICE. So I am having Mikhail build me a souped up Maestro-XLR with a new tubed power supply. Should be here by turkey-day.

WHICH turkey day? :)

I have no problem with wait times from Mikhail. My first SDS was 6-7 months. The SDS-XLR was 14 months. This amp should end up taking about 7 months. If longer.....no problem. I have been so happy with the final products, the wait is a non-issue for me.
I'm the same way. At least you know that your final product will be in perfect working order and built to your specifications... not all manufacturers are so reliable that way. ;)

I have been using the Ayre K-1XE preamp and have been comparing the Ayre P-5XE and Sim Audio LP5.3 phonostages . I liked the Sim better than the Ayre and sold the Ayre. I will add the upgraded power supply to the Sim when it comes out. This is a great phonostage in my system and I was happy to find one cheaper than the Ayre and one that I also felt was quieter and sonics are better.

I got a chance to use the SDS-XLR as a preamp in my system and liked it better than the Ayre K-1Xe so I sold it and have been using a Musical Fidelity until the SP gets here. Its as decked out Maestro XLR with Mikhails new tubed power supply and I am very excited to get this in the system. The system will be as follows when the preamp arrives. ;D ;D

VPI SuperScoutmaster w/signature arm

Dynavector XX-2 MKII cartridge

VPI SDS

Sim Audio LP5.3 phonostage

Singlepower Maestro-XLR preamp

Krell FPB 650M monoblocks

Thiel CS7.2 speakers

NAD M5 SACD player

Audioquest Sky cables everywhere(just got four pr. of these and they are very, very, very, good cables in my system)

Audioquest Mont Blanc speaker cables(soon to be Volcanos)

Power cords are LAT International AC-2

Audio Magic power purifiers for the digital and the phonstage

Billy Bags rack

I just got through finishing treating the room and all outlets are dedicated 20 and 30 amp lines in a dedicated room (15X20). Two years of work and changes to get here and this is it for a long time. I am very happy with what I have put together. Mikhail says the Maestro with the new PS is a better preamp than the SDS-XLR. ;D I will post pics and thoughts when everything is together and has a few hours on it.