Vaporware no more?

boomana

After mucho waiting and waiting, it appears that Larry at LaRocco may...I say with hesitation...may be actually readying to ship. The latest word is that "some" ??? amps will be shipping this week with the rest soon to follow. There were supposedly 50 in the original group buy, and according to Duncan (Larry's still not talking), there are 100 ready to go.

Anyway, after all this waiting, this is all I've got to go on, so here are the lastest pics/teases swiped from a post at ipastudio:

5Final-Assembly-pcb.jpg

All non-alignment critical parts are assembled prior to final chassis assembly on the PCB. The final aligned control and interface components are installed in the chassis, tested, documented and shipped.

5Final-Assembly-face.jpg

Every Chassis part is machined, Block finished by hand and anodized.

5Final-Assembly-installation.jpg

The Diablo chassis is more than just an enclosure to house the goodies. It is designed to be an armoured enclosure against outside forces that can cause damage to critical circuitry and controls. Everything is tucked into and against the superstructure to shrink the footprint and limit exposure to shock or impact damage.

5Final-Assembly-posttest-box.jpg

The Diablo is covered under a 6 month Parts and Labor Warranty. All internal controls are sealed epoxy types and all discrete components and IC's are housed in a machined pocket under the PCB.

5Final-Assembly-shipped-inve.jpg

Included AC Charger not in Photo

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but it takes Larry forever to add just another minor detail and actually ship the stuff. I think my Headcode was finished 1 month before it was eventually shipped and then another 2-3 months of sending back and forth for repair because it had an internal mistake.

How long have people now waited for the Diabo?

I think the first group buy started over two years ago and was supposed to be for 10, then it was expanded to 20, then it became 50 about a year or so ago when I got in. There was always the promise of "after this one little problem gets sorted out in the next couple weeks, they'll be ready." I think they stopped taking orders about 6 months ago, so there is a range of wait times. No one has yet received a Diablo, and though there are now pics, the promises haven't changed. A couple weeks ago, it was bad buffers from China. Now it's "as soon as the replacement chips are in." :P Whether any of it is true or not, all I know is that it better sound damn good.

If the Diablo is the penultimate (second best) what exactly is more over the top than that tank of a chassis?

Well, I do like my PRII best so far, but that tank doesn't fit in my purse very well...my very reason for buying the Diablo.

it looks nice, at least.

Yeah, but I'm not too sure about the blue lights on top. They look like little eyes and might scare me in the night. :o