Help me find the headphones I need!

albinoblacksheep

Okay, so here's the deal:

My father has agreed to pay for headphones for me if I find ones I deem suitable. I'm looking for a minimum frequency response of 5 - 35K Hz, Closed, preferably circum-aural. At the moment the only ones that I've come across that look any good are Audio-Technica ATH-A1000, Audio-Technica ATH-A900, and Sony MDRD777SL ... I know that the Beyer DT770's sound good, but my ex who I'm friends with has those and it would be copying, and in the spirit of competition I'd like to see if I can do better than those...

I've heard wonderful things about this site being blunt and to the point when it comes to it. Please help me get the best I can get.

Thankyou.

Published frequency response isn't really a way to evaluate headphones. It's just marketting. If you're listening to a cd, you're not getting any information above 22.05khz anyway. But the first thing you'll need to mention is budget, since a huge percentage of people on this particular forum have headphone rigs that cost north of $5000.

Okay, so here's the deal:

My father has agreed to pay for headphones for me if I find ones I deem suitable. I'm looking for a minimum frequency response of 5 - 35K Hz, Closed, preferably circum-aural. At the moment the only ones that I've come across that look any good are Audio-Technica ATH-A1000, Audio-Technica ATH-A900, and Sony MDRD777SL ... I know that the Beyer DT770's sound good, but my ex who I'm friends with has those and it would be copying, and in the spirit of competition I'd like to see if I can do better than those...

I've heard wonderful things about this site being blunt and to the point when it comes to it. Please help me get the best I can get.

Thankyou.

You can certainly trounce the sq of the 770s, but as others have said, what's your budget, what sound do you like (if you know), and how/where will you be using them? Are you looking for just headphones? If so, what source/amp (or none) will you be using? Is closed a necessity (that really limits things)? Etc.

a huge percentage of people on this particular forum have headphone rigs that cost north of $5000.

Snob. >:D

Hi, welcome to Head-Case. (Can I say this? I'm practically a newbie myself.)

If you're interested in a closed, full-size headphone, the Audio-Technica A Series is a good option. I don't currently have one, I used to own the A950LTD.

They recently announced the A900Ti, the latest iteration of the A900 range. I would assume it sounds similar to the A900LTD and A950LTD.

The A1000 was discontinued and not readily available. If you can find one, it might be a good collector's piece.

Elephas -- I remember that shoot-out, so yeah, you're exempt.

there is another limited edition 900 apparently.
Yeah, but they're not black. Not a complete deal-killer -- I like titanium as well -- so I will proabably still get a pair. But I mean, c'mon -- BLACK.

Oh, and re: Reference 3A -- they're already on my radar. Their Corian-baffled speakers can be made with any Corian that Dupont will make, including like a dozen different flavors under the category of black.

The Thiels look nice in black, but I'm so used to seeing them in wood.

The Gallos come in black as well.