Inexpensive, but decent, CD transport with AES/EBU

philodox

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That does look pretty cool. How old are those parasound units? I like the description, but it sounds like something where I'd be screwed if it broke. The Cal Audio wouldn't have been any better for that, but it is half the cost.

I think swt61 had a parasound unit at some point, but I'm not sure if it was this particular model.

No it wasn't that model, but that's "THE" Parasound to get. It's a belt drive, and it is a nice transport. Very few problems with them even today. I believe Parasound still warehouses belts for these.

Again it's a top loader though, will that work in your rack?

Edit: (just realized it says belt drive in flashing neon letters)

Yeah, I'm just worried about it breaking down... and I don't like it all that much aesthetically speaking. :-[

I've been in and out of that transport. First, there is a company still servicing them. Secondly, the laser assemblies are very common, and run $10-$20. I found them at http://www.electronix.com/. I don't remember the exact part number, but it's not hard to find one you open it. The transport mechanism is made by Technics.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, looks like I might be buying the TEAC after all considering that the EAD just showed up and is pretty much non-fucking-functional. I mean I suppose that I could use it if I could find a way to slide the CD in without the drawer opening but that doesn't appeal to me all that much. >:( So pissed, so fucking pissed.

Well, looks like I might be buying the TEAC after all considering that the EAD just showed up and is pretty much non-fucking-functional. I mean I suppose that I could use it if I could find a way to slide the CD in without the drawer opening but that doesn't appeal to me all that much. >:( So pissed, so fucking pissed.

Argh. I hope you can get your money back from the seller, Nate. Hopefully, you're not channelling Jacob's luck withe audio stuff.