Inexpensive, but decent, CD transport with AES/EBU

philodox

Hi all,

I made a *slight* mistake in thinking that my Eastsound has an AES/EBU connection. Wondering if anyone has any inexpensive, but good suggestions for a dedicated CD transport [or CD player] with AES/EBU. The cheaper the better, though I don't want something that is going to fall apart on me. :)

Thanks in advance,

Jay O0

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I made a *slight* mistake in thinking that my Eastsound has an AES/EBU connection. Wondering if anyone has any inexpensive, but good suggestions for a dedicated CD transport [or CD player] with AES/EBU. The cheaper the better, though I don't want something that is going to fall apart on me. :)

Thanks in advance,

Jay O0

I think having a balanced digital output and cheap probably don't coexist all that often. Why do you need AES/EBU? I know there's the supposed benefit of having a 120ohm impedance (or something like that) but I'm not sure my ears care.

Thanks Salty, I was considering that. $400 isn't bad if I can find someone to build it for me. :)

Nate - The DAC that I want to use with it has one AES/EBU in and one optical in. The optical in is going to be used by the M-Audio transit I just picked up, so I wanted to use the AES/EBU for my CD player.

Another option would be to add AES/EBU to the Eastsound somehow. Would that be possible/feasible?

Thanks Salty, I was considering that. $400 isn't bad if I can find someone to build it for me. :)

Nate - The DAC that I want to use with it has one AES/EBU in and one optical in. The optical in is going to be used by the M-Audio transit I just picked up, so I wanted to use the AES/EBU for my CD player.

Another option would be to add AES/EBU to the Eastsound somehow. Would that be possible/feasible?

all AES/EBU requires is a suitable transformer added on to the digital signal, so this should be possible.

Not a suggestion, but just fyi -

HiFiDiy.net transport that Vince built (and subsequently owned by thrice) had AES/EBU output, and the full kit cost $400, IIRC. You may want to ask them how it performed. When I checked it out at a meet, it definitely seem to be solidly built, with nice remote.

That unit is currently owned by yours truly, and it performs beautifully!

For the money it's an absolute bargain. I'm sure looser101 could manage the task of building the unit provided you can ply him with something. O0 It is a top loader though, so I'm not sure how that would work in your rack.

So does this mean the lovely Bloodwood trimmed E5 SE will be finding a new home?

systemfaceplates021708xjt3.jpg

Sure.

From top to bottom

HifiDIY CD transport, and next to that my S2 Audio Dockit wooden iPod dock.

Four channel balanced β22 w/Joshua Tree stepper.

Dual σ22 power supply.

PS Audio PCA-2 balanced preamp.

Twisted Pear Opus DAC in dual differential configuration w/Zapfilter.

Tice Audio MB3 power conditioner.

all AES/EBU requires is a suitable transformer added on to the digital signal, so this should be possible.
Good to know. Not sure if I have room in there for another transformer, but at least I know it is possible.
just get one of these, jason.
That looks like a good option, though it means an extra cable added to my Signal Cable order. :P
I sold my Delta transport for $250 and it had an AES/EBU connector. Had an option for ST glass as well, though my particular unit didn't have this option.
Damn. I think I saw that FS post as well, but it was before I knew about my dilemma. :(
So does this mean the lovely Bloodwood trimmed E5 SE will be finding a new home?
I doubt I would sell the E5, but who knows. :)

what DAC are you looking at, Jason?

Already have it, a Behringer DEQ2496... more of a DIY project really. I've been interested in the AKM dac chips, so wanted to try a product that uses them. I figure that if I like it well enough stock I may look into building a second box psu, swapping the dac chips with AK4396's, zapfilter output, etc.

I've also been very curious about digital EQ's and figure the worst case scenario is that I put it in my closet until I have a serious speaker rig and use it for room corrections. :P

Haven't heard the beast yet though of course, since I don't have my transit and I am an idiot. [thought the E5 had AES/EBU]

Jay, If the Zapfilter is removed from your E5-SE (if you're going to be using it as a transport only I'd imagine you'd want to reuse it in the DAC), then I'd imagine you'd have more than enough room to add the AES/EBU output to the E5. That would probably be the cheapest and certainly the slickest way to go.

ah, ok. i bet you'll want to mod, pretty soon.
You've heard it before?
Jay, If the Zapfilter is removed from your E5-SE (if you're going to be using it as a transport only I'd imagine you'd want to reuse it in the DAC), then I'd imagine you'd have more than enough room to add the AES/EBU output to the E5. That would probably be the cheapest and certainly the slickest way to go.
That would probably be my first choice. I'll have to run it by Renato and see what he thinks. :)

The AES/EBU inputs/outputs on the DEQ also do S/PDIF... all you should need is a suitable cable (XLR on the DEQ end). I never tried these myself however. See manual pages 7 (item 17) and 13 under the I/O menu section for how to switch from AES/EBU to S/PDIF. You could probably try it with one of the SE-XLR adapters and a digital (RCA) cable also.

Or permanent if you don't feel like tearing something apart.

You know me, though I have no skill at such things, I have no problems asking others to do it for me. :D

Dusty - That looks to be pretty overkill for what I'd use it for. What do they usually go for second hand?

I was thinking about it more and Pars and Nate are probably right... I should just use the adapter for now until I get a transport with true AES/EBU output. All a transformer would do is change the impedance, not the format, so whats the point if the DEQ already handles that...

I would think that putting your money into a pure transport instead of a CDP will usually warrant you a better transport. I can highly recommend the HiFiDIY transport. If Renato has the time to put it together you just can't do any better for $400.00.