What's your dream system?

swt61

I, for one, welcome whatever input you have Doug.  None of my sense of self is tied up in my appreciation for those speakers.  I think part of the appeal is the dovetails, and that's more your area of expertise than mine.,

27 minutes ago, swt61 said:

Well, those dovetails are machine made, so no real expertise needed.

dt.png

Not sure about that; those pins are pretty narrow. It's possible they used a thin kerf table saw blade, but the narrowness and inconsistency looks like a hand saw to me.

Edited by dsavitsk

There's a lot of equipment I think is so grossly overpriced it's ridiculous; on principal even if I had the $ I likely wouldn't purchase many things.  I've found that I can enjoy simpler things, and my main basement system is kind of my "local" dream.  I say local because it's right for my musical tastes, in my home/listening room.

For me, my ultimate dream system can be perhaps 50% the room and its comfort....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dsavitsk said:

dt.png

Not sure about that; those pins are pretty narrow. It's possible they used a thin kerf table saw blade, but the narrowness and inconsistency looks like a hand saw to me.

Sorry Doug. I thought we were talking about the OMA Monitor. Those dovetails on the amp certainly do appear hand cut.

DamgjahW4AAJ0H1.jpg

12 hours ago, swt61 said:

Well, those dovetails are machine made, so no real expertise needed.

I mean, I would need to develop enough expertise to use the machine, to start with.

Still, could be a fun project.  Two way crossover with an AMT and a driver I'm sure someone has figured out, looks like a sealed box.  I could probably find someone around here to cut me a weird-ass baffle since this whole town is made of stone.  I'm inspired by your nonchalance, Steve!

Posted (edited)

Don't mistake me though. I personally have no issue with machine cut dovetails. I have made them, I like them, I don't think of them as a cheap shortcut.

I have a lot of respect for the guys that are proficient with hand tools. Sometimes I find hand tools to be the quicker method, and that's when I generally use them. But I embrace power tools. I do want to be involved in the actual creation process, so I'd be more likely to use a CNC to cut templates, that I would then use to make forming the actual piece easier.

Edited by swt61
  • Like 1

There are people on this forum who I believe could design such a speaker. I probably shouldn't name names, but one chose a certain pipe tobacco as his name here. 😊

Building the speakers once someone much smarter than myself designs it, would be the fun part for me. My monitors that Marc designed are absolutely brilliant.

I would still want the AMT unit atop the speaker in a dipole fashion.

• Like 2

On 4/24/2024 at 6:51 AM, swt61 said:

I really want to hear those OMA monitors as well, and for good reason...

In the mid 80's I bought a pair of ESS AMT 1D speakers. Those speakers had the Heil Air Motion Transformer tweeter/midrange units. They are the best top end/midrange I've yet heard. The issue was the bass. It was a bit wooly and loose. I've always wanted someone to design a speaker using those AMTs, but with a better low end.

xhoecxcznctejhhlxjcf.jpg

So, I just learned of the Pure Audio Project Heil AMT open baffle speaker.

https://pureaudioproject.com/shop/

The Trio 10 with Heil AMT.

0645_Assaf-Pinchuk-photography-1-1030x1030.jpeg

A true dipole/open baffle design.

• Like 2