So if the HFI-780 and D2000 are trashed, what's left?

RedSky

I can't imagine a better fit for the description of "a good pair of portable (as in not massive sized), reasonably isolating bass emphasised phones" than the HD25-1. Make sure to replace the yucky stock pads with velour ones (available from Sennheiser). Actually, something in the back of my mind tells me that current models may come with velours as standard.

Fairly sure they come with both sets of pads now.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard the ES7s. How is the isolation?

Some people have said they are only fair at isolation, but when I am wearing them at work, they seem to isolate really well for me. I think alot of it has to do with how well they fit each individual user. I also don't have an issue with discomfort that a lot of people complain about. From what I can tell from other users comments on the cans, they are not a one size fits all headphone.

I'm starting to lean towards just grabbing a HD600/HD650 and a portable amp (probably second hand HD600s if I can as they're apparently easier to drive). Looking at a few pics of them, they look passably nerdy to walk around in ... plus they're Senns so they're instantly more acceptable ::)

I mean, HD-25s sound great but they're maybe $50 cheaper than the aforementioned. Besides, even if I can't get them to sound the best with a portable amp that gives me upgrade potential for a home rig later on. Sure, they're not closed like the HD25 but I'll live with that I guess.

ES7 sound interesting too but a bit on the cheap side, think I have enough $50-100 phones already :P thanks for the suggestions though :D

If you're going to go the portable amp route with the Senns, the 600s fair a bit better than the 650s, but I wouldn't go portable unless really needing portability. For small desktop solutions that are moderately priced, the Rockhopper CKKIII and the 01 (including dac) from Head Direct (I think it has a name now, but I've had the early model for the past few weeks) sound quite good with the 600s. I haven't heard either with the 650s so I can't comment there.

If you're going to go the portable amp route with the Senns, the 600s fair a bit better than the 650s, but I wouldn't go portable unless really needing portability. For small desktop solutions that are moderately priced, the Rockhopper CKKIII and the 01 (including dac) from Head Direct (I think it has a name now, but I've had the early model for the past few weeks) sound quite good with the 600s. I haven't heard either with the 650s so I can't comment there.

Sorry for the spam here, but if you go the CKIII route, fellow HC'er gtp has this one for sale. I've seen and listened to his work and it is of high quality. I haven't seen or heard this particular amp but I'd bet money that it's up to his usual standards.

Sorry for the spam here, but if you go the CKIII route, fellow HC'er gtp has this one for sale. I've seen and listened to his work and it is of high quality. I haven't seen or heard this particular amp but I'd bet money that it's up to his usual standards.

Wow, cool, surrogate advertising!!! The CKKIII is a damn nice amp, but I just don't have time to sit at my desk and enjoy it.

Yeah, I seem to be getting the hint from everyone that portable amps will cripple/mutilate/... 300 ohm HD600/650s but ah well. Guess I may as well start out with a mini^3 because I'll be using them on the move most of the time, then later on I'll get a pleasant surprise when I finally get around to grabbing a home amp :laugh:

Yeah, I seem to be getting the hint from everyone that portable amps will cripple/mutilate/... 300 ohm HD600/650s but ah well. Guess I may as well start out with a mini^3 because I'll be using them on the move most of the time, then later on I'll get a pleasant surprise when I finally get around to grabbing a home amp :laugh:

No that's really not the case, or what people are trying to get across.

Your 600/650 will sound fine on the mini

You know I really wish I could try them out somewhere because visceral deep base, articulate and good soundstage for closed phones sounds like something I could really enjoy but alas, living where I am I'm kind of forced to go for more safer/universally accepted options :( I only meant trashed in the sense that virtually everyone on this forum seems to be totally against them whereas Head-Fi is the opposite ^_^

You know I really wish I could try them out somewhere because visceral deep base, articulate and good soundstage for closed phones sounds like something I could really enjoy but alas, living where I am I'm kind of forced to go for more safer/universally accepted options :( I only meant trashed in the sense that virtually everyone on this forum seems to be totally against them whereas Head-Fi is the opposite ^_^

I understand and some people never get their ears around the S-Logic thing so for them it is a problem.

I'm going back down to Miami today and meeting up with mrarroyo and vorlon1. Miguel says the 780s now have over 450 hours on them and swears they're sounding better than when I heard them. I'm suspicious, since I kept being told the same about my 2500s needing more and more and more hours and they only changed slightly, but since they'll be sitting right there for me, I'll try them out. I'm going to bring down my Canamp, and since it's pretty colored, but it a way I like, maybe that will help.

slwiser, I had no problem with the S logic, it was the timbre and the shrieking highs that bugged me.

I'm going back down to Miami today and meeting up with mrarroyo and vorlon1. Miguel says the 780s now have over 450 hours on them and swears they're sounding better than when I heard them. I'm suspicious, since I kept being told the same about my 2500s needing more and more and more hours and they only changed slightly, but since they'll be sitting right there for me, I'll try them out. I'm going to bring down my Canamp, and since it's pretty colored, but it a way I like, maybe that will help.

slwiser, I had no problem with the S logic, it was the timbre and the shrieking highs that bugged me.

Sorry you can't hear them out of a Yamamoto HA-02 amplifier.

I didn't think it needed fixing. But you did prove my point about vilification.

Somehow I can't seem to equate "wonky tone" with vilification. No headphones seem to be more polarizing that Ultrasones. The fact that many people don't like them and are vocal about it doesn't equate to vilification. Sorry.

Guest DogFish

Well this horse is still very much alive. And I for one want to hear both sides, as I've yet to listen to an Ultrasone.

Well you have two choices:

1) New

2) Used

Buy em ,try em, and keep or sell. I think this is more straightforward then a friendly discussion that somehow turns into a debate where one side is trying to convice the other about the virtues of said phone. Hell, what do I know! :kitty:

I disagree. I have a good concept of what many of the members here have a preference for, and as such I can gleen some useful information until such time that I can listen for myself.

I do not however wish to buy any Ultrasone unheard.