So if the HFI-780 and D2000 are trashed, what's left?

RedSky

Followed both topics where these headphones are trashed. So given that, what would be a good pair of portable (as in not massive sized), reasonably isolating bass emphasised phones around that same price range? The only other phone I've stumbled upon that fits into that category is the ATH-ESW9s and they don't supposedly isolate well, and cost a fortune. The MS2s/325is are said to be more balanced but still with loads of bass, yet they're not closed either and have an even more narrow soundstage than the Denons or Ultrasones supposedly ...

^^ (this is all based on hear-say of course ... ::) )

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Redsky.

Can't really help with the phones question since the last closed set I owned was in 1977 and the only closed set I've listened to recently were the W5000 which also doesn't isolate and cost a bigger fortune.

The Sennheiser HD25-1 isolates reasonably well and is durable and relatively small-sized.

Bass quantity shouldn't be deficient.

New prices might be high, but a used pair could cost less than $150. I bought a used pair with velour earpads that are more comfortable than the stock pleather pads.

The HD-25 is a good choice, but for a relatively cheap alternative with lots of bass -- maybe too much -- try the AKG K81DJ. It is not the best headphone but it meets your criteria. The K181DJ is bigger and more isolating, but really cannot recall what they sound like. If you can find an ATH-A500/700/A900 for a reasonable price, I also think those can make a decent portable option. They are easy to drive and sound pretty good. Not super bassy, though.

I truly feel the ATH-ES7 would be a good choice for you. It had a strong low end, but doesn't let it walk over the mids or the highs.

I've never heard the ES7s. How is the isolation? The ESW9s don't isolate all that well. RedSky, if isolation is a main concern, do you have anything against iems, which certainly isolate better than any closed can I know.

The K181DJ is bigger and more isolating, but really cannot recall what they sound like.

I can recall, in general, what they sound like: :P

The K181DJ is bigger and more isolating, but really cannot recall what they sound like.

They sound like hell with the pleather pads, with lots of bloated uncontrolled bass. But they are much more balanced and quite enjoyable with the Senn HD25 velour pads, though they definitely lose a lot of bass impact and slam.

They sound like hell with the pleather pads, with lots of bloated uncontrolled bass. But they are much more balanced and quite enjoyable with the Senn HD25 velour pads, though they definitely lose a lot of bass impact and slam.

Translation, about what one should expect for $65 headphones. If one wants good closed sound the only option I've heard is the D5000s.

I can recall, in general, what they sound like: :P

I rather liked the K181, much more balanced than the K81, which is already pretty nice except for the overwhelming bass.

Do you mean the K81 or K181?

I only heard them once and with the stock pads. All I remember the bass was stupid sloppy and bad. I don't recall anything else at all, which just about says it all.

Translation, about what one should expect for $65 headphones. If one wants good closed sound the only option I've heard is the D5000s.

R10s sound nice :)

I think Dusty's suggestion for the 7506s is pretty good for a budget headphone that's also closed and portable. They have a good, clean sound and decent balance. If I honestly needed the isolation and portability on a budget, I'd get iems unless I had a particular aversion to sticking things in my ears. You can get a lot more bang for the buck and more options. The portable, closed, budget headphone category is pretty dismal in terms of quality options. I haven't liked any closed, portable headphones until the ESW9s. They still don't compare well to good home headphones, but they come close to some, and are the best I've heard in that category if you like a warmer, fuller sound that still has decent detail. Although, at $300, I guess they exit the budget category. :-[

Yeah, basically I have some AD700s and iM716s at the moment and even though the iM716s sound mostly great all around, they're a tad too bright and I'm really missing the soundstage with them. I guess if I want portable and good soundstage though, there won't be a lot of options ... maybe it's more worthwhile just saving up for some higher end K701/DT880/HD600 or 650s ...

Oh and yeah, the cherry wood ESW9s captivated me ... until I saw the price. :D

I can't imagine a better fit for the description of "a good pair of portable (as in not massive sized), reasonably isolating bass emphasised phones" than the HD25-1. Make sure to replace the yucky stock pads with velour ones (available from Sennheiser). Actually, something in the back of my mind tells me that current models may come with velours as standard.