Another Stax Omega 2 setup

deepak

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
How? :o

If I was going to use the amp long term, modding a bias transformer inside might be cool.

Take the signal off the output transformer primaries. The tubes output high voltage which is then stepped down so you should be able to tap into that and bypass those two transformers. It's one of those things I've always wanted to try out but shipping a 30kg amp is never cheap... :(Goes to check out cheap Chinese crap on ebay...

You will also need a bias supply so something like the supplies found in the Gilmore amps would work when fed of the amps B+.

I've always wondered why people didn't do that in the first place :)

There are reasons why that won't work with any given tube amp, right? Or is it just because they usually won't give you enough voltage swing? (say, if I tried this with some random

P-P DHT amp on YJ :D)

Like I said I've never tried it and it will depend on the amp. You would have to capacitor couple the output and put some load on the tubes to ground but that's it. I would stick with pentodes for now as DHT's are a lot of trouble to get right and need a separate heater supply for each output tube which is rarely done on speaker amps... let alone the cheap crap.

• 4 weeks later...
:o:postjack::o

The SR-007 MK1 looove vinyl. I just spun Opeth's Deliverance (recent reissue) on my Music Hall and the bass and amount of extra detail was insane with the Stax :eek:

Do I sell my North Star and Music Hall and over extend myself with a high end TT I probably shouldn't be buying... :-X

easy. yes. and adj bias for the Koss so you can get moar bass.

easy. yes. and adj bias for the Koss so you can get moar bass.

I'll dew the high bias and probably recable. First step is hearing them with the Stax transformer box.

I have a lot of stuff I can sell, I think $5k is a decent budget for TT/arm. So on the shortlist is the Hyperspace and Galibier Serac. I can audition the Serac locally with my Stax setup which is a big plus.

Realistically I should put the vinyl down and back away from the setup, these transient thoughts of grandeur really aren't good...

I've been having O2 cravings lately. :(

Vinyl is king. Having never owned a high end table I don't know what I'm missing. What I do know is I've squeezed more enjoyment out of my budget vinyl rig then my mid fi digital rig.

Any future source monies will go towards my vinyl rig, but I'm still remarkably satisfied with my 1200, 18 months after I bought it.

I'll dew the high bias and probably recable. First step is hearing them with the Stax transformer box.

I have a lot of stuff I can sell, I think $5k is a decent budget for TT/arm. So on the shortlist is the Hyperspace and Galibier Serac. I can audition the Serac locally with my Stax setup which is a big plus.

Realistically I should put the vinyl down and back away from the setup, these transient thoughts of grandeur really aren't good...

Those are 2 excellent choices. Though, I'm curious what the difference in price would be between a Spacedeck with Tri-planar arm. I really don't like the Nottingham arms. My next upgrade (well, "commercially available upgrade") will be a new arm for my Space Deck.

That being said, I like the Galibier tables as well...... tough one. It would be easier if you would have chosen crappy tables and the Nottingham.. then I just would have been a Nottingham fan-boy... but, you really raised the ante there.

Those are 2 excellent choices. Though, I'm curious what the difference in price would be between a Spacedeck with Tri-planar arm. I really don't like the Nottingham arms. My next upgrade (well, "commercially available upgrade") will be a new arm for my Space Deck.

That being said, I like the Galibier tables as well...... tough one. It would be easier if you would have chosen crappy tables and the Nottingham.. then I just would have been a Nottingham fan-boy... but, you really raised the ante there.

Interesting. If I was going the Serac route the Artisan Audio would be the only affordable arm right now. Though I wonder how an RB300 compares to it.

Damnit, don't remind me. I have two crates of vinyl in storage, and more than a few reference quality records that one of my friends keeps dropping off as a subtle hint as to where my rig should be going.

Sell them to me :P

I've been having O2 cravings lately. :(

Vinyl is king. Having never owned a high end table I don't know what I'm missing. What I do know is I've squeezed more enjoyment out of my budget vinyl rig then my mid fi digital rig.

Any future source monies will go towards my vinyl rig, but I'm still remarkably satisfied with my 1200, 18 months after I bought it.

I think I'm very close to selling the MMF-5. As good as it is, I don't think these entry level belt drives can hold a candle to the entry level DDs. The speed stability for one thing is not that great on the MMF :/