RS1's?

Chekhonte

I did not know you went to UI. When were you there? I also remember the smell and it is still there (at least it was last week).

I was at UI (Psychology Dept) between 1978 and 1984. I went back for visits a couple of times since, but most of the people I knew have moved away, and I think it's been about 15 years since I was last there.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've owned at one time or another five different pairs of RS1, from the vintage to the last run of the buttoned-up ones, and there seems to be quite a bit of sample variation even within batches. My vintage pair was pretty beaten-up but it was smoother and more open than the semi-vintage pairs I tried -- and these two sounded quite different from one another, despite being separated by only a few hundred serial numbers. The worst-sounding pair was more recent. One driver was about 1/4 covered with hot glue and the right earcup had what looked like the toothmarks of a hamster undergoing a psychotic episode.

For me the RS1 is like a high-school crush: I sometimes wish I had a pair for that quick nostalgic fling but I find that I rarely listen to them when I do have them around. I'd love to try a balanced pair again though.

best,

k

I was at UI (Psychology Dept) between 1978 and 1984. I went back for visits a couple of times since, but most of the people I knew have moved away, and I think it's been about 15 years since I was last there.

Well small world. I was there from 74 - 81 (Forestry). Was only back about 3 times from 81 - 05. Now I live 45 miles south, go figure.

I've owned brown headband vintage RS-1's two times, currently on my 2nd set, and have owned the more normal black headband RS-1's 3 times, some serialized, one unserialized, and every single time, the difference between the two is more than subtle, but slightly under the category dramatic. So I guess I would say the differences are noticeably audible within 5 minutes of somewhat critical listening. Ultimately the differences are somewhat small, but they all add up to a better experience to my ears. Combine the smoother top end, tighter bass lacking that upper bass bloat, more fullbodied tone, and most importantly to me, the lack of glare in the top end, simply equates itself to a better more enjoyable experience. I prefer the vintage RS-1 to the PS-1's personally, and like Ian mentioned, I absolutely abhor the newer RS-1 version in comparison, because those flaws just detract too much from the musical experience. I should add that my 1st set of vintage RS-1's I sold to JP#, so it appears we for the most part agree with that particular set.

As for price yeah its been pretty crazy. I sold JP at a reasonable price, which I originally bought on ebay BIN for 500, the guy was really cool and knew that it could fetch more, but didn't care. My current set I got for 650, again the guy received offers up to 1500 but he had already committed to selling at that price and he followed thru on his words, guess headfi still has its moments and its members...