Electrocompaniet ECD-1 v. Northstar M192 (both unmodded)

spektrograf

Hey y'all, first post since coming from Head-fi... Filburt graciously turned me onto Headcase this past weekend (thanks, Filburt!!)

I was wondering if anyone has had personal experience between the ECD-1 and the Northstar M192... both in an unmodded state. I currently have an opportunity for both. I'd prefer to use them stock (not ready to plow funds into mods right now)... but may want to mod them in the future. So, I guess... how would you rank them stock... and how would you rank them EA'd? ...some "why" would be really helpful, too! :)

BTW, I'll be using them with an EC ZD and Senn HD580's... and I seriously dig Filburt's modded Assemblage 2.6 with the ZD/HD580's. :D

(oh, one more thing... got a Lavry DA10 coming in that the store won't take a return on... brand new in box if anyone would like to pick it up from me... if you hit me up before I get organized on selling it, I'll send it to you unopened...) ;)

I'm the opposite of deepak, no experience with the Northstar but I got the opportunity to audition an ECD-1 once at a mini meet at my house. It remains one of my favorite listening experiences. Also Salt Peanuts here used to own one (the one I heard, ironically enough) and I think he kicks himself for selling it quite often.

AudiogoN ForSale: Parasound DAC-1000 <- This should be a pretty good deal though of course it depends on where it ends bid-wise.

Modded I would think it should be comparable to JP's Filburt modded Trans DAC... PCM63 chip versus PCM1702, both single ended... The difference between either DAC and the Assemblage 2.6 is that the 2.6 has the PMD-100 filter which is significantly better and the PCM1704 chip which is ~same level as the PCM63 in the Parasound and slightly better than the PCM1702 which is in the Trans Dac.

The Trans DAC stock sells for somewhere between 300-800 (I saw a NOS one for 800 buy out). As JP can attest the modded Trans DAC is no slouch of a DAC. Though it is definitely a step down from the Assemblage :/ But those suckers are rare and at best you can expect to see them hit ebay 2x a year.

So frankly the 1000 is probably at least worth ~200-300ish. Of course during the meet I scored a 1500 which is the balanced version for 166 shipped which is a pretty insane deal all told. Conversely I paid 500 shipped for the 1600 which has the PMD-100 filter and HDCD decoding so its closer to being a balanced version of the Assemblage 2.6 merely PCM63 chips versus the PCM1704.

Of course the performance boosts are largely dependent on your ability/willlingness to have it modded, but imo if you can nab that DAC for under 300... it might be a good bet.

Now... if you have money to burn and want to be a little bit more adventurous there's this DAC that Adam linked to me earlier in the day: AudiogoN ForSale: Sonic Frontiers Processor 3 which is made by the same company as the Assemblage stuff which was a Sonic Frontiers line.

Neither of us have heard it and sadly I don't have the money to blow on it (Thanks Balancing Act!), but this thing uses UltraAnalog d/a converters which are discrete ladder dacs which is pretty rare since most things nowadays use delta sigma dacs and some use R-2R ladder dacs. What else uses discrete ladder dacs? Well the EMM Labs stuff does ;p So this thing could be pretty badass plus it has a 6922 tubed output stage for people who like tubes.

Yeah... it's reading through you guys buzzin' about the ECD-1 and M192 that's cause me to go down this road...:confused: ...not that I'm ungrateful or anything, 'cuz it's all part of the process right? ;)

I've been reading the rave reviews and the "shoulda kept it" comments about the ECD-1...that's what's got me thinking about that DAC. The fact that some ppl think highly of the M192 has me curious... but... in the end... it'll probably be that I'm going to end up trying to get both in simultaneously to try with my own ears. In the meantime, I'm hoping someone with experience with both can chime in. ;D

Dan, thanks for the links! (and a HUGE hearty thanks again for being such an awesome host) I saw the SF3 earlier, but really didn't plan to outlay $2.4K on a DAC... esp. after the ZD recently. I totally hear you and Adam about the Parasound's... what I was hoping was to get in another used DAC that's identifiably nice and patiently wait for a 1100 to swing by.... then figure out modding it... all nice and slowly, but in the meantime, have another very nice DAC to both enjoy and compare a modded 1100 to.

Did you have the 1500 in on Saturday? I didn't quite dig it—at least in that stock form—against the PS Audio DLIII.

I would be very interested in this comparison. I own the M192, but can't really gauge it against anything. I saw the ECD-1 at a Boston meet a couple of years ago, but didn't get a chance to listen to the setup. It looked awesome, photos don't really do it justice. I'm not a fan of gold, but it made me one.

FWIW, I wouldn't mod these DACs, at least unless there's someone other than Empirical Audio. EA just strikes me the wrong way, for some reason, especially with that Spoiler DAC silliness. I have nothing to justify this, maybe some other members can back me up or debunk me, its just a gut feeling.

Also, since these mods are quite rare, I think your resale value would be hurt were you to move up or otherwise change your source in the future.

Yeah... it's reading through you guys buzzin' about the ECD-1 and M192 that's cause me to go down this road...:confused: ...not that I'm ungrateful or anything, 'cuz it's all part of the process right? ;)

I've been reading the rave reviews and the "shoulda kept it" comments about the ECD-1...that's what's got me thinking about that DAC. The fact that some ppl think highly of the M192 has me curious... but... in the end... it'll probably be that I'm going to end up trying to get both in simultaneously to try with my own ears. In the meantime, I'm hoping someone with experience with both can chime in. ;D

Dan, thanks for the links! (and a HUGE hearty thanks again for being such an awesome host) I saw the SF3 earlier, but really didn't plan to outlay $2.4K on a DAC... esp. after the ZD recently. I totally hear you and Adam about the Parasound's... what I was hoping was to get in another used DAC that's identifiably nice and patiently wait for a 1100 to swing by.... then figure out modding it... all nice and slowly, but in the meantime, have another very nice DAC to both enjoy and compare a modded 1100 to.

Did you have the 1500 in on Saturday? I didn't quite dig it

Hey Harris, welcome to Head-Case! Sorry for the lack of response to your PM after the meet in San Mateo, but it was good to see you again.

Have you ping'ed Bruce (utep10) about the ECD-1? He has had one for a long time and can tell you some of what you need to know. Also, tkam is selling his Northstar M192 mk2 for $1300 which is a good deal. You may have seen/heard that already but it is an option. Good luck!

EDIT: Nate beat me to it. DEW EET X2!

Well you can always stop by and hear what I have.. the other 2 DACs I picked up should be coming in this weekend. Perhaps you can persuade Jp to bring his modded Trans Dac by so you can gauge what level that reaches and he can pick up his SR-60s ;p

That'd be cool, Dan...esp. since you're right around the corner from work! Thanks for the offer! I'll PM you and figure something out! :)

Hey Harris, welcome to Head-Case! Sorry for the lack of response to your PM after the meet in San Mateo, but it was good to see you again.

Have you ping'ed Bruce (utep10) about the ECD-1? He has had one for a long time and can tell you some of what you need to know. Also, tkam is selling his Northstar M192 mk2 for $1300 which is a good deal. You may have seen/heard that already but it is an option. Good luck!

EDIT: Nate beat me to it. DEW EET X2!

No worries, Al! It was more of just dropping you a line to say "hey"... that's all. :) Good seeing you, as well! :)

I haven't hit up Bruce, but will definitely drop him a line. For now, I've been convinced to be patient and wait for the right solution, especially as I'm willing to break out he soldering iron... ;)

Thx again, Al!! :)