KEF PSW2500 Subwoofer

postjack

PJ,

I've heard the 2500, 3500, and HTB2. The 2500 and iQ3 is a fantastic setup. The 3500 does extend a bit lower, but at a bit of a loss of punch. I'm a big fan of the Kef sub: very clean, tight bass. In a smaller room, it should be great. the major downfall of the Kef sub, is a shortfall of amp power. It will probably not vibrate out your nightstand drawer, and spill your condoms on the floor. If you watned it for movies, I'd go elsewhere. But the subs are IMO, great for music.

Smaller room you say? I'd def lean toward the 2500 over the 3500.

The kef mids are WONDERFUL.

I have not heard the iQ1, but I would really look at upping to the iQ3. It isn't much more in cost, but I'd imagine the larger woofer would certainly help the midrange. I loved my Q1(=iQ3), and just wanted a bit more ;).

Right now I am using my iQ9's with a polk sub. It certainly helps fill out the lower frequencies that the Kef's struggle with in my larger room. however, I am 'in the market' for the PSW3500, sometime in the future. When? Who knows. My lifestyle may change enough that it will not be feasible for MADD BASS IN YO FACE in the next 6 years.

Feel free to contact me, and I'll gladly send you my Q1 for a demo. They are just rear speakers now, and I don't have time for 5.1 movies, lately.

I'm a big fan of a well-implemented 2.1 system. I used to go Spendor S3/5a's w/ Sunfire True Sub Jr. The thing that was magical about that system was the continuous phase control (really just a micro-delay). Despite having completely different speeds, I could make the sub disappear by getting the phase right. So what I'm saying is, make sure that whatever you get has one of those. I believe SVS have them, not sure about HSU. What finish did you get again? I believe SVS have a shiny black that matches (or is close to) the Quad's shiny black. You'll have to ask humanflyz.

Well to answer your question I am now a big believer in a well implemented sub to a speaker music system. The big caveat is of course the sub must be of good quality and complement the main speakers and not overpower the room with boominess unless of course you are a taiko drum fan. I was a big single driver fan boy for some time using Fostex 166s in a BLH design. Then one day I stumbled upon a pretty decent deal on a sub so I bought it and put it in my main listening room. I A/Bed Bill Evans at the Village Vanguard and a Tord Gustafson cd with and without the sub and I soon discovered what I had been missing with the single drivers alone. The sub seems to help fill out the mid to lower range and add life to the upright base players music. IMHO

Think an Oak SB-12 would fit the general color scheme?

sb12plus_oak_front_ng_popup.jpg

Or Hsu makes a maple finish. A VTF-1 would probably be a decent bet.

VTF1Maple-big.jpg

My subwoofer expertise is limited to big, ugly, black HT thumpers. My Epik Castle does quite the number on "Black Cow" though, even with a PS3 as a source. :)

The Hsu subs are really nice and well executed.