SF Bay Area Meet in Marin -- Saturday, October 18, 2008

Grahame

SF Bay Area Meet in Marin -- Saturday, October 18, 2008

For those of you who can't make it down to LA, as a warm up to Burning Amp, and as the 2nd Anniversary of the 2006 Marin Meet, we are holding the first state wide meet in Stereo!

Date: Saturday 18th October

Time: 10:00 am until lights out (i.e., late)

I have secured the apartment complex activity room. The venue is located close to 101 (from North / South) and the 580 Richmond Bridge (from the east). This google map location shows the room, which is just southeast of the pool (try zooming out in hybrid mode to get the context):

Top of skylark drive

Details on location and directions will follow in this post or by PM.

The room is approx. 600 sq. ft. There are 6 sockets in three outlets, so some significant power strips will be needed--bring what you can. There are two trestle tables and one low coffee table. There are 14 folding chairs and one couch. Please PM me or post any folding chairs or tables you can bring so we can keep track.

There is guest parking within 20 paces of the room, and if more room is required there is additional parking down the street. We will keep an open loading/unloading spot near the room and I can shuttle people to/from additional parking spots if necessary.

Local supermarkets are close by for supplies. Local eateries range from inexpensive to high end. We might organize a dinner trip as we did in Saratoga, or we could order/pick up and eat at the complex.

So, stand up and be counted. The next post will be the attendee and gear lists, so either post in the thread or PM me with your availability (definite or maybe will do) and what you are going to bring. Please be clear with your gear and identify what you will bring in the following categories: phones, amps, sources, cables, miscellany. I will update Post #2 as often as possible, so please be patient.

Tell your Head-Friends and we'll see you all on October 18th!

Grahame did say he wanted to have a meet on this date -- the day before Burning Amp in Marin -- before you set Oct. 25 as a So-Cal meet date and even longer before you moved the date to Oct. 18. I don't think this small event will impact your meet at all, and we can have fun with it by playing it up as a state-wide event. Or, you could continue to post snarky comments here and on HF. Your choice. :dan:

i had not anticipated saying anything else here or there, but come on what one wants to do isn't comparable to doing it. yet i didn't know about what he had wanted to do nor does it make a difference as i would never schedule a meet that's within driving distance of another on the same day even if i had wanted to do it first. just dishing a little lighthearted grief on hf and a bit more cutting over here as is the norm... the socal meet is more a trial run for CJ09 than anything else so it shouldn't really matter that we're divided. :P

in fact, it should give us a more realistic idea as to the potential California turnout at CJ09. ;)

Come on David, if you really think that this meet is a dry run for CJ09 then you had better do a lot more advertising and hyping. I can see it as a way to energize the so-cal folks who haven't had a real meet in two years, but you cannot expect it to draw more than a couple of people from nor cal or anywhere else. I was thinking of trying to make the 25th into some kind of family trip to Disneyland (which we had discussed as a possibility this Fall) with a side-trip for me but then you changed the date late in the game to a weekend where I was already committed. Such is life, but don't try to guilt Grahame or me or anybody else because the local meets 300 miles apart now happen to fall on the same day.

If you want to create divisions, then you're doing a good job. :(

Come on David, if you really think that this meet is a dry run for CJ09 then you had better do a lot more advertising and hyping. I can see it as a way to energize the so-cal folks who haven't had a real meet in two years, but you cannot expect it to draw more than a couple of people from nor cal or anywhere else. I was thinking of trying to make the 25th into some kind of family trip to Disneyland (which we had discussed as a possibility this Fall) with a side-trip for me but then you changed the date late in the game to a weekend where I was already committed. Such is life, but don't try to guilt Grahame or me or anybody else because the local meets 300 miles apart now happen to fall on the same day.

If you want to create divisions, then you're doing a good job. :(

this isn't improving the situation and i don't desire to continue this type of exchange, but what you sunk your teeth into, dry run and divided, was meant in good-natured jest as that one sentence was followed by a tongue simile and should have been taken in context. i could have put it better if i had said dry run of sorts because as you know it still requires contract negotiations with the hotel and offers us a better idea about the staff and facilities as this is likely the same location as CJ09. i feel bad and even more so after reading your post as i didn't read the meet chatter in the burning amp thread until late last night, but did search the meet thread before i picked the date. even you didn't mention it to me when you asked why i changed the date to the 18. if only i had known, but play the guilt and divisiveness card -- you nailed it. :rolleyes:

You had already changed the date, so what does it matter that I didn't point it out? I don't intend to continue this dialog at all, but if you didn't want to have this type of public exchange, then maybe you could have sent Grahame a PM instead of posting commentary on both sites. And as for smilies setting the tone, I don't think that saying something you really mean and then sticking a tongue smily at the end changes it one bit. :palm:

Check your email because I sent you some comments on your contract with the hotel. Have a great meet.

Guys enough already, the Marin meet and SoCal meet are both going to be great times. Neither one is going to have a big impact on the other and could be cool to see the gear that California has to offer for CanJam 09.

How about we just support each other and give up the debate contest and no one is going to let CanJam09 collapse over a minor schedule conflict and some comments in a meet forum.

The only thing that sucks for me is I was planning to attend both meets but due to needing to check out the logistics of the Hilton in LAX and spending time with the SoCal org team I really need to go to that one, sorry Grahame I know this meet is going to be a blast!!

Can't we all just get along?

Seriously though, No offense intended, and none taken. I'm looking forward to Can Jam 09 as much as anyone, as you can make a great coastal road trip from the Bay Area to LA.

Organizing a meet, and keeping everyone happy is a pain at the best of times.

I think for the subset of people for whom both LA and Marin are realistic options, they will have already decided, possibly, given the larger exposure of the LA meet. Timing at my end was driven by the synergy with Burning Amp, and the need to act sooner rather than later to secure the meeting space. The fact that it is about 2 years from the previous meeting is just serendipitous. The (now) same day as your meet? Statistical clustering.

The Marin meet may provide some solace for those who are unable to get to LA, and there is always Can Jam 09 next year to meet the SoCal crowd.

jp11801, sorry you can't be two places at once, but we'll be thinking of you.

So here's to two great meets, and I look forward to an enjoyable weekend for all involved, wherever they get their headphone fix.

That's just how Hitler came to power. :(

Here I am, trying to organi[s|z]e a (mini?/vendor free?) meet out of the goodness of my heart, and it only takes 16 posts for Godwin's Law to be invoked. :palm:

Thanks for the bump, though :D

Where are the non-LA-bound Bay Area Lurkers? speak up!

Edited by Grahame
Goodwin -> Godwin typo

more important, as it's actually godwin's law, and not what someone on wikipedia decided it was:

There are many corollaries to Godwin's law, some considered more canonical (by being adopted by Godwin himself)[2] than others invented later.[1] For example, there is a tradition in many newsgroups and other Internet discussion forums that once such a comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically "lost" whatever debate was in progress. This principle is itself frequently referred to as Godwin's Law. It is considered poor form to raise such a comparison arbitrarily with the motive of ending the thread. There is a widely recognized codicil that any such ulterior-motive invocation of Godwin's law will be unsuccessful (this is sometimes referred to as "Quirk's Exception").[6]