Beer Reviews

The Monkey

Had a Lonerider something or other at the Pit not too long ago and was very good. Had a Lone Wolf something or other down in Wilmington at Easter that was tasty. Just heard about a new brewery in Fuquay area, Aviator. He has a red out but have not tried it. Went to Boylan Bridge Brewery couple weeks ago and they had a stout and a scotch ale but didn't try them. Michael Deans has $2 pints on Wednesday nights of Fayetteville's Mash house brewery beers. 5 flavors always on tap. Their IPA is VERY GOOD.

My housemate brings in big jugs of that Aviator stuff (hes in love with base jumping, so I think he's biased). I haven't tried the stuff though.

I'll have to hit some of those joints some time.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My housemate brings in big jugs of that Aviator stuff (hes in love with base jumping, so I think he's biased). I haven't tried the stuff though.

I'll have to hit some of those joints some time.

Cameron Village Tap room has a couple Aviators on tap. I had either and IPA or a Pale Ale that was good. Went to Raleigh Times Bar last night for NC Cask Conditioned Ale Nite. Was drinking Foothills Hoppyum. Very tastey but I kinda missed the bubbles.

IMG_2049.JPG

Where the beer I drank came from. I think it is trying to escape.

One of Aviators brewing tanks(?)

• 4 weeks later...
the new (or, at least new to me) Dogfish Head Aprihop is pretty tasty. if you like Magic Hat #9 (which i do) imagine that beer, but with less apricot, and just a whole lot more of, well, everything else. big beer, but smooth and refreshing and easily quaffed.

Hmm, with that kind of description, I'll have to try that out.

Yeah the Circus Boy wasn't very good the one time I tried it. Haven't had any other Magic Hat beers since Bonnaroo in '06 but they were damned tasty. There was one limited release type thing that they had a keg of, called Chaotic Chemistry and I hit it at least 20 times over the weekend. I see that's a regular brew for them now, it was advertised as a one-off at the festival. I need to get my hands on some eventually but it's not distributed here yet.

Really? Damn. I don't recall seeing that there.

Where did you find a distribution listing?

the new (or, at least new to me) Dogfish Head Aprihop is pretty tasty. if you like Magic Hat #9 (which i do) imagine that beer, but with less apricot, and just a whole lot more of, well, everything else. big beer, but smooth and refreshing and easily quaffed.

Got a 4 pack during graduation week and man, was it tasty. The ladies liked it as well :)

• 4 weeks later...

I've been on a mission this weekend, to find the closest thing to Pliny the Elder that I can get my hands on in FLA. With a recent memory in place, I picked up 12 IPA's on Friday and have been working my way through.

Best contender so far is the Terrapin Rye Squared. It has the sweetness up front building into a nicely acidic hop taste, and packs 8.5% abv to Pliny's 8%. The rye of course gives it a slightly different flavor, but the overall experience is quite similar to my holy grail of beer.

And damn have I had some shitty IPA's in the meantime. Why does every other one taste like soap?