Pacquiao!!!

recstar24

• 4 weeks later...

I remember that fight. Really impressive stuff by Manny. This is not the weight class for him but it was completely one-sided nevertheless. Still, who knows how much of that was Manny being brilliant, even at that weight, and Oscar being slow?

I wonder what's next for both fighters. Is Oscar finished? Is Manny going to fight Mayweather Jr. after the Hatton fight? It's definitely going to be an interesting 2009, I think.

Though on the whole I have to say that Hopkins' fight against Pavlik was even more impressive. Beating someone like Pavlik through handspeed and lateral movement when you're 43 is inspiring, no other word for it.

• 10 months later...
Yeah Cotto is no joke a great fighter, but just goes to show you how dominant Pacquiao has become. Gotta love the fact he is willing to go in deep and mix it up, risking taking a punch if necessary. Only one left is Mayweather at this point.

I think Mayweather might be afraid of Manny though.

Mayweather is content to fight underweight has-beens and market them as world-class fights. Against Manny he'd have his work cut out for him and he'll probably dodge that fight if possible. If not, look for Floyd to be 40-1-0. Heck, if Floyd fights Cotto, Mosley, or Clottey, he'll be 40-1-0.

No disrespect to Floyd, he's a top tier fighter, but Manny's becoming something else entirely. Cotto was a machine, and look what happened. But I do have to wonder how much of that is the psychological damage from that loss to Margarito, and yes, I do believe that Margarito's gloves were loaded for that fight. The difference in his punching power between the Cotto fight and the Mosley fight was stark.

On a different note, I love Arthur Abraham's style and it will be really interesting to see what happens in the Super Six. I'm down with him taking the whole thing, but we'll see.

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone catch the Paul Willams / Sergio Martinez fight? Man, what an absolutely brutal showdown. And what absolutely amazing display of skill by Martinez. He did run out of gas in the end but to take on a fighter like Williams, with every single physical disadvantage stacked against him, and put on a show like he did, is a true mark of his quality. I was really impressed by the way he continually made adjustments as the fight went on and kept pulling out new things all the way till the end. As far as Williams, well what more can be said, he is physically the ideal fighter to dominate at this weight and he has a terrific set of fully balanced skills. He's the one of the most avoided fighters in boxing for a good reason.

Purposefully not mentioning the outcome - go see it! This fight deserved to have the sort of fanfare that accompanied Pacquiao/Cotto, and I can't wait for the next one. Considering that these two are quite possibly the most avoided fighters in boxing, they don't really have anyone to fight but each other. Besides, this outcome was controversial, and there's bound to be a rematch just for that reason alone.

Does Floyd want to prove his quality? Fight Pacquiao, and move up one weight class and fight Martinez. Or Williams. Preferably both.

• 10 months later...