What are you listening to Part Two

deepak

Mojave 3 -- Out Of Tune

d90f225b9da05f49cc3d3110.L.jpg

So after the UK shoegazing scene blew up, the two guys and one girl from Slowdive left Berkshire and the wall of fuzz behind and started making incredible and (to me) deeply American records full of Hammond organ and pedal steel guitars and alt-country tropes. Did I mention they're incredible? This one is as sunny and hazy as the day on the cover.

Edited by Hopstretch

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Donald Fagen -- The Nightfly
Nice. Though I prefer both of Walter Becker's solo albums, this is certainly Donald Fagen's best... and better than the last two SD albums as well, which I'm just not a big fan of...
Feist -- The Reminder
Nice. I prefer Let It Die but this is pretty good... being in Toronto presently, I've been spinning that, and these:

YouForgotItInPeople2.jpg

20764.jpg

No excuse for this but for some reason I have yet to acquire Brendan Canning's recent effort... and while I like Kevin Drew's Spirit If, the aforementioned two BSS albums proper beat it fairly handily IMO.

Malcolm Middleton -- Into The Woods

This is lowish-fi, but I think some of you would probably dig it too.

mmm?
We Were Promised Jetpacks -- These Four Walls

Like it. Spiky, fun.

Nice! Great name too.

Today, a fair whack of the Smithereens:

smithereens+especially.jpg

smithereens_greenf.jpg

Green Thoughts is definitely my fav overall, despite some FANTASTIC tracks on Especially For You ("Alone at Midnight" is three and a half minutes of absolute perfection in the genre, that bridge in the middle of the song after the guitarey bit... ugh!!! so simple but SO delicious!). Curiously of these first three Smithereens albums, it took me the longest to warm up to Green Thoughts. Can't figure out why now.

Smithereens89.jpg

I find this one a little weak compared to the first two despite some high points... "Room Without a View" particularly. Great track.

So after the UK shoegazing scene blew up, the two guys and one girl from Slowdive left Berkshire and the wall of fuzz behind and started making incredible and (to me) deeply American records full of Hammond organ and pedal steel guitars and alt-country tropes. Did I mention they're incredible? This one is as sunny and hazy as the day on the cover.

check this one by Simon Scott

Televise - Songs to Sing in A and E

514LigU4BdL._SS500_.jpg

I feel like Craig Kilbourn in "Craig Kilbourn has a better idea" (a running gag in which he starts listening to a recent artist's current release [sting and Sade were two examples], and then stops it and plays one of their older releases [Police and her first album, respectively]) every time I play Mojave 3. Mojave 3 makes me miss Slowdive.