What are you listening to Part Two

deepak

• Replies 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3060/2625713915_e26998c4eb.jpg

Bill Berry & His Ellington AllStars - For Duke

Any HC jazz fans who don't have this are missing out.

Do you have any idea how it compares to the M&K RealTime CD release? This CD has both "For Duke" and Fatha Hines "Fatha".

eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160350310677

For a real treat, try to listen to the M&K RealTime lp release. It and LA4 "Going Home" are the crown jewels of my meager lp collection.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3060/2625713915_e26998c4eb.jpg

Bill Berry & His Ellington AllStars - For Duke

Any HC jazz fans who don't have this are missing out.

Do you have any idea how it compares to the M&K RealTime CD release? This CD has both "For Duke" and Fatha Hines "Fatha".

For a real treat, try to listen to the M&K RealTime lp release. It and LA4 "Going Home" are the crown jewels of my meager lp collection.

Edited by guzziguy

Hmm, I've never seen that before. I've only heard the version above. I have some sort of import CD of Going Home as well, which is a terrific album. Haven't heard any other versions of either.

albumcoverShellyManneTheThree.jpg

Even though it is a mono recording, on my dcm full range system driven by a tripath amp and a Naaman repaired reference audio (not)mods dac ah, this OJC recording sounds pretty good and involving.

Mr. Augsburger! It has nothing to do with mono or stereo. It has everything to do with the recording engineers at Contemporary Records and their minimalist mic'ing techniques. Roy DuNann is one of my all time hi-fi heroes and he was one of the engineers at Contemporary.

Another interesting thing about the recordings at Contemporary is they used no echo or reverb on the actual masters and most of the OJC's transferred the tapes flat and dry. 4 Neumann tube mics fed directly to an Ampex Tape machine made for an extremely clean signal path and captured the ambiance very well.

It's not surprising that the masters transfer and remaster so well. Most are considered audiophile favorites. A little polishing and they sound superb!