GS-1000's Arrived

tkam

Pretty accurate assessment, tkam. My 1000's are about ~100 hours old and I can still say that the bass overwhelms me (and the sound spectrum) many times. My take on these grados is that the sounstage isn't anywhere near huge, it's more like front row at a concert. It's kinda funny, I opened up these cans expecting to hear unbelievably spectacular sound; I ended up finding a sound that was nowhere near mind blowing or incredibly lush, musical, etc. What I have found so far is that they are the most accurate headphones I have heard to date (minus the crazy bass; I hope the bass chills out as the cans work in some more). No more mushing of sounds together, no more losing track of an instrument in a song when passages get complicated; All I hear is an incredibly revealing listen. This can can be downright ruthless with poorly recorded tracks! BTW, I'm using 2 dap's and an SR-71. I imagine that the musical ride would definitely get more involving on some differently designed gear... Overall, I can say that I'm happy with the sound - not $1150 (CDN) happy, but then again I wasn't $400 happy with my k701's nor $300 happy with my 650's...

I'm not of fan of the bagel pads. They mess up the highs and the sound is too distant for me. I've switched to smushed bowl pads. With these smaller pads, the gs1000's sound like rs-1's with ps-1 drivers in them (or what I think they would sound like hehe). So far they are nothing special to me.

Biggie.

Hmm interesting, I don't think I could take any pads that put the drivers much closer to my ears. I think the treble would just be too much at that point.

The bass seems to be easing in or claiming down, but I also think I am listening at lower levels. I also find that my ears are more sensitive to something about the sound so far as compared to my HD650s.

that's easy. It's the forward presence and detail available at the lower listening levels. I used to complain all the time that I had to turn up my 650's in order to not-have-to concentrate hard on hearing the music. If you've ever owned the k701's, you'd know what I mean. They are also very hard on the ears at higher listening levels due to their presentation.

Few more thoughts now that I've had them for a few days. The imaging and seperation are extremely good, that along with their bass are the GS-1000s main strenghts. Their next best asset is their detail retrival which I think is probably unparalled in the $1k and under price range. The bass is also very good, it has the immediacy and snap of the hp1000 bass and goes pretty deep. I have noticed though that the treble can get a bit "tinny" and almost harsh at louder listening levels. It does seem to be pretty recording dependent, but it is more of an issue at higher listening levels. The GS-1000 do have a bit of a midrange deficiency, in particular the upper midrange isn't as prevelant as it is in the RS-1s. In my mind instead of having too much midrange bloom like the RS-1s these are kind of the opposite as they fall just short of having enough.

Does anyone know if one can obtain the bagels by themselves? And are they compatible with regular Grados. And no, I don't mean actual bagels, I mean the bagel pads that come with the GS1000's. I might try 'em with my HP-2's.

Don't bother I'm borrowing a pair of hp2s right now and tried the bagels on them, makes them sound pretty awful.

Yeah agreed the bagels are very comfortable but sonically speaking don't seem to be very compatible with other Grados.

agreed.

btw it looks like the FOTM is entering Final Stage on the GS1K, which is when folks who've had enough time to own and listen start selling or returning if they don't like em - after this, they become a "normal" can and are in the hands of just folks that like em enough to keep em. this is when the more interesting reviews start popping up.