Dynaco amps

laxx

The ST-70 has a pretty good reputation, and IIRC was designed by David Hafler. I've never owned one, but did have some Hafler amps before and they were good. As for price, the $300 seems kinda steep for a Dynaco, but I have not looked at pricing on these in a long time. Is it stock, or has it been modified/upgraded? I seem to recall there being some modification kits and parts floating around; I'd take a look on audioasylum to see what you might find out.

The ST-70 is a storied amp, and rightfully so. From this article:

[David Hafler's] first company's "Dynakits"—preamps and power amplifiers in kit form—were assembled by hundreds of thousands of enthusiasts in the 1950s and '60s, a period when audio was primarily an engineering hobby and most good-sounding gear was built by its owners. Several Dynaco products from the period are still regarded as among the best ever made, including the ST-70, a 35Wpc stereo tube amplifier with a highly efficient push-pull output circuit. The ST-70 was the prototype for most similar designs that followed from other companies. The Dynaco Mk.II, a 50W amplifier, was featured in a media display in the Smithsonian's Museum of American History in Washington in the 1990s. (A detailed history of Dynaco can be seen here.) Hafler sold Dynaco to Tyco in 1968, but stayed on in an advisory capacity until 1971.

I have always had great experiences with Welbourne,limited as my purchases have been over the years. But I saw a number of posts around somewhere complaining about follow up on orders and all in the past so I thought I would update any info floating out there that my recent experiences have been good.

• 4 months later...