How has your rig changed in 2008? And do you have any plans for 2009?

postjack

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2008:

Purchased the following:

NOTHING

2009 plans:

I have no idea. I would like to upgrade to a new computer. The current computer was built in 2000 and uses RD-Ram and a P-4 running at 2.4Ghz. It's slower than a snail. That is my main priority.

Next on my list is to possibly get a pair of electrostatic headphones. I have never owned a pair and would like to get some.

That's about it. :)

update 2009:

Sold HP-2

Sold Supra SE

Gonna sell SDS to Purk :)

Bought Gilmore V2

The Gilmore V2 is GREAT for the price (was way cheap). Great with the HD650, awesome with the L3000. I can appreciate that the expensive tube amps sound great too, but when I think about all the money I've sunk into speaker amps/headphone amps/preamps, for the amount of difference they offered, when I COULD have sunk that money into some truly amazing speakers like the Tannoy Glenair 15s or Kensingtons...Absolutely, if I could do it over again I'd have all relatively low-cost SS amp/phono/preamp/headamps and those gorgeous 12" or 15" Tannoy prestige speakers. Don't get me wrong, I love my Dimension TD10s and think they're way awesome, but the speaker upgrade would make way more difference than the amp downgrades. Lesson learned, over the last few years. It was too easy to follow the logic of "now that I have speakers/headphone X I need $$$$ amp/preamp Y to do them justice", when it would have been far better to go with the < $$$ amp and even better speakers for the same money. Thing is that the larger, more efficient speakers are an easier load for the amp :palm:

I'm done with non-turntable electronics that cost $1K+. Srsly :)

• 4 weeks later...
pete, how is that combo (candela + khartago) working out for you? any comments on the sound?

The khartago monos are basically smaller cases holding kismet black boards (newest hi-perf Odyssey offerings). They have a single 400va transformer and 120,000 uf worth of caps. 180w/channel, 120 amps current (is a conservative rating).

Sounds great! The candela has a bit of tube rush noise which I can hear a little when everything is quiet (I am new to tubes, so not used to this), but I understand some different tubes are quieter. Sonically the candela is just perfect, gorgeous. Takes a bit of that digital dryness out, but still very resolving and natural sounding. The amps have just natural sounding, with plenty of grunt, really nice mids and highs (not glary or bright/harsh).