How has your rig changed in 2008? And do you have any plans for 2009?

postjack

This was fun last year, lets try it again.

I discovered the DL-103 this year and it became my favorite cartridge. The same DL-103 went dead less then a year later, which is distressing. Hopefully the next one will last longer. As accessories to the DL-103 I purchased a Cinemag SUT (currently on loan) and a Hagerman Bugle. I also purchased a Bottlehead Seduction from thrice. I still own both these phono stages. I bought a digital stylus force gauge, which is awesome. I sold a Grado PH-1 phono stage somewhere in there, and at some point I owned a Grado Platinum, Grado Sonata HO and Grado Sonata LO, can't remember if that was 2008 or 2007.

I bought and sold a beautiful Rockhopper Balanced Beta 22. I bought a Wheatfield HA-2 just before, which is now my primary headphone amp. I moved my 840C to the speaker rig and bought a Denon DA-500 for my headphone rig. Headphone wise I sold three RS-1s: a serial numbered APS recabled pair, a semi-vintage serial numberless pair with black headband, and a newer buttonless pair. I also sold my HF-1. I sold my Black Dragon recabled GS-1000. I bought and sold a Stax OIIMk1, which is the best headphone I have ever heard but A) I'm more interested in speakers and B) I simply could never get the phones as comfortable on my head as $2000 headphones should be. I powered the phones using an SRD-7/mk2 box which I sold. I also purchased an SR-Lamba normal bias with an SRD-7/SB which I sold.

From July to just shy of September I purchased a D5000. :) A lengthy transaction that eventually resulted in me getting the headphones and a local non-profit men's drug rehabilitation center receiving a donation. ;D I sold the D5000 in November.

In July I bought a Denon 3910, which I sold to JB sauce in October. I also bought and sold a Sony SCD-777ES. An impressive unit, and mind bogglingly heavy. I gave up on hi-rez and sold a bunch of my DVD-As and SACDs. I recently purchased a Quad CDP-2 which is en route.

I purchased and was impressed by the Quad 12L active speakers, but couldn't find a good implementation of them in my system so I sold them.

I sold my Veda Audio Dynahi SA, which was previously owned by both tkam and grawk. Awesome amp.

My current headphone rig is the Wheatfield, DA-500, and HD650 (the last headphone standing). My speaker rig moved rooms twice this year, finally ending up in the den in front of the fireplace (which I don't use, the fireplace that is). Still sporting the Quad 22Ls I bought from tkam Fall 2007, powered by a Cambridge Audio 840A. Digital source is still the 840C, analog source is the Technics SL-1200MK2, currently running an AT440MLa or KAB/Ortofon Pros30 integrated cart into Bottlehead Seduction. Eventually I'll go back to DL-103 + Bugle.

As far as future plans go, 2009 will be much calmer then 2008. I've settled quite nicely into my current speaker rig. The only change I foresee is on the amplification front. I really want to try out some of the D-Sonic ICE based amps, to see how the 22Ls like 500+ watts, and for a pre I'm considering the Quad 99, because its inexpensive, has an MM/MC phono stage, interesting tone controls, a remote, and its Quad.

The big mystery is headphones. I rarely listen to my rig anymore, but if the HD800 rumors are true, I am sure I'll be picking one up.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my, so many changes to the rig in 2008.

-moved to a complete electrostat based system. I sold my L3000 and remaining K1000 this year

-bought a Stax SR-Lambda system (with SRD7/sb transformer box) that I absolutely loved. Kept that for a few months and

-moved up to the Stax Omega 2 with a Stax SRD7-pro transformer box with EL34 based integrated amp

-picked up the Koss ESP/950 electrostat system which I used with the stock Koss amp

-added a Squeezebox 3 as a transport. Very handy little device, I adore this technical marvel

-swapped out the DAC from the North Star M192 to a Parasound D/AC1100HD

-got addicted to orthodynamics :-0 picked up Yamaha HP-1, Fostex T20v2, and NAD RP18 (Fostex T50v2 clone)

looking to add- dedicated electrostat amp and a much more powerful dynamic amp for the orthos

I sold my Veda Audio Dynahi SA, which was previously owned by both tkam and grawk. Awesome amp.

want to buy

Of course this still pales in comparison to what tyrion will post >:D:indra:>:D

Edited by deepak

Long story short, I went from multiple headphone rigs into one (okay, two if you count the living room rig) speaker rig. Also, finally made the jump to computer-as-a-source camp.

The current rig is as follows -

iMac -> Apogee Duet -> ModWright SWL 9.0SE -> McIntosh MC2100 -> Eminent Technology LFT-8b

It took awhile, but I finally have consolidated all of my equipment into a one box amp/cdp/usb dac/headamp, analog setup, speakers, and one pair of headphones. I might upgrade my headphones this year depending on what I see (maybe some AT woodies if they ever come up when I have money), although in the back of my mind I really want some Mark & Daniel mini's. Unfortunately they're way too expensive for me.

that i remember..

Built Orthodome #1

Bought an HD-414

Bought a SRM-001 Mk.2

Built Orthodome #2

Gave #1 to my dad

Bought the Sony DAS-R1

Built Orthodome SR-3N

Sold it afterwards

Built Orthodome #3

Sold the SRM-001 Mk.2

Sold my Jecklin Floats

Sold the HD-414

Sold Orthodome #2

Sold the Squeezebox

Sold backup Surrounder

Sold the Aleph (unsucessfully thusfar, damn death threat sending moron)

So whats actually worth saying:

This year I bought a DAC, early next year I'll probably buy an amp.

I bought jp#s' HP2 headphones. Sold my Darths and MS-1s. Amp-wise, I bought some new tubes.

For the new year, I plan to set my speaker system back up. Part of this will be a new stand so I can finally set up my analog system. Then I'll be able to play my old albums and the new ones I've recently bought. :P

Bought a 2900

Gave it to colin to upgrade (in April, haven't gotten it back yet)

Bought ESP950s

Blowed up my m3 (in August, gave it to colin to repair, ahven't gotten it back yet).

Bought a turntable

Bought another turntable

Bought another turntable

Bought a phonostage

Bought 580s

Sold 580s

Bought 600s

Sold 600s

Bought 650s

Sold 650s

Bought 650s back

Got a pair of ESW9s for Christmas

Edited by grawk

I admire the time you put into your post Jack but I'm not sure I'm up for the same tour through gear madness.

Long story short:

1. built The Menace.

2. tried to avoid stats, bought multiple stats, sold stats, may revisit stats in'09.

3. '08 appears to be finishing by starting with a trip down the speaker avenue (SimpleSE) so it'll be interesting to see where that goes in '09 as well.

Bought a 2900

Gave it to colin to upgrade (in April, haven't gotten it back yet)

Blowed up my m3 (in August, gave it to colin to repair, ahven't gotten it back yet).

Bought a turntable

Bought another turntable

Bought another turntable

Bought a phonostage

Bought 580s

Sold 580s

Bought 600s

Sold 600s

Bought 650s

Sold 650s

Bought 650s back

Is Colin in training to work with Mikhail? :o

My home rig has been steady this year, save for hard drive storage, but not the portable/office rig.

In the office, I've tried the following, not all at the same time: Nugget Audio B22, Headamp Pico, 5G ipod, M Audio Transit, PX100, HD650, D2000, e530, ESW10JPN, JVC FX33.

Currently using the Transit + ESW10JPN at work exclusively.

At some point I will be upgrading the office setup again. What I'd like to do is get a dac-only Pico and the new TTVJ FET amp, and pair with my ESW10JPN and call it a day for that rig.

I had aspirations for a home speaker setup, but put it on hold for various reasons. Currently letting my mom use my T Amp and Insignia speakers for living room background music.

Having recently conquered (more or less) the battle between Amazon and my wallet, my real plans of change coming to the D.C. area in 2009 are electrostats (OII MK1, just purchased from GPH), an amp to drive them (BH SE, hopefully putting a deposit down real soon) and last but not least a new source upgrade.

Really looking forward to the source upgrade most, as it is where most of my curiosity is. How deep does the rabbit hole go, and how 'neutral' a rig can I get to.

2008 was really about music for me. 400+ OJC jazz discs, which has completely transformed my music library for the better.

I think 2009 will be a bit more focused on gear, especially since Ive got a backlog of vinyl I need to have Luis remaster :)

I experimented with a couple of portable amps at the beginning of the year (SuperMini, SuperMacro, Mini^3) to realize and I didn't really need one and sold every one of them. I also bought and sold ApureSound ER4S cable.

I then bought a pair of HD600 and a M^3 amp. It was powered by a cheap 0404 USB DAC, but I was fairly satisfied with that setup.

Some time after that, I auditioned Stax SR-404 and Stax O2 and decided it was the direction I wanted to take, so I sold the HD600 and M^3 and bought a pair of Lambda Signature and a SRM-Xh amp. The Lambda Signature were awesome, but a good deal came up here on a pair of O2Mk1, so I bought these and sold the Sigs. A good deal also came up on a SRM-T1S amp, so I bought it and sold the SRM-Xh. I also bought an Apogee Duet to replace the 0404USB.

Then, I wanted to see what the O2 were capable of so I bought the KGSS DX. The O2/KGSS setup was very lovely and definitely my best headphone experience to date. I decided after that to dip my toes into speakers so I bought a pair of Quad 12L2 and a Cambridge 840A integrated amp. Sometime between all that, I also bought a pair of Koss ESP-950 and a Stax SRD-7 Pro transformer box.

Recently, after realizing that I don't listen to music at home as much as I should because I'm always on the go, I decided to go minimalist and sold a lot of stuff. As of now, I have my good old pair of Ety ER4S, Koss ESP-950, Quad 12L2, Cambridge 840A and the Apogee Duet.

There are some other headphones that came and go very fast: Sennheiser HD25-1, Westone 3 and the soon-to-go UE Triple.fi 10 Pro.

It will be the year of DIY. I plan on learning a lot of stuff about amps and how to build my electronics.

I also plan on selling the rest of my stuff minus the Etys and go with a super-minimalist rig: Pico w/Dac -> Stax SRM-001/SR-001Mk2. The Pico w/DAC was obtained in a trade with Justin and I should get it in a few weeks and I should get the Stax SR-001Mk2 this weekend.

2008 was really about music for me. 400+ OJC jazz discs, which has completely transformed my music library for the better.

Damn.

Hopefully, I'll be doing something similar in 2009, especially if those Gray/Hoffman SACD's ever come out. Otherwise, I may finally delve into the world of DIY, probably after the wedding.

For 2008, I added the Trafomatic Head One and Audio Aero to my bedroom rig. 2009 is completly open, that is why I am hanging around here, to be tempted. First off I hope to have all three of my amps repaired by the summer, add a Buffalo to my office or home system and I am sure someone will tempt me with another new amp for the bedroom rig.