How has your rig changed in 2008? And do you have any plans for 2009?

postjack

Bought an RS-1, then sold it a few months later when the damn thing kept breaking on me. I think it spent more time being shipped to and from Grado Labs than anything else.

Bought another RS-1, this one seems to be working fine. So far.

Built a couple amps, only one of them was a success.

Made some new cables.

Borrowed a pair of Visaton B200 open baffle speakers, surprised that open baffle speakers work in my room. Gave them back to the owner after a few weeks.

Bought an EAR Acute CD player.

Future plans: Apogee Scintilla. I gotta have one. It's the PS-1 Pro of speakers.

For 2008, I added the Trafomatic Head One and Audio Aero to my bedroom rig. 2009 is completly open, that is why I am hanging around here, to be tempted.

EAR Acute CD player. I just bought one after having it on extended loan for almost a month, I think it's better than the Capitole. I might write up a quick review in the next week or two.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sold SDS.

Sold Wavelength Cosine DAC

Sold DV60 that I listened to for one track as it had spent most of its new life with Alex Peychev so dunno if it counts as part of any of my rigs.

Acquired a AD2000 and a K1000.

Acquired a Parasound pre amp and power amp to flesh out my speaker rig.

Acquired Parasound Surround Sound Processor/1500/1600/2000 (x2), Esoteric D-3 (Not a D-03)/D70, Assemblage 3.0/3.1 DACs

In the process of acquiring a EC Balancing Act.

Hrm I just added it up and somehow I've only spent ~2500-3k dollars this year on audio gear after subtracting the stuff I've sold. That can't be right... given how little I have in my bank accounts. Where did all my money go :(

Highlights for me in 2008

1 - Digital source journey continued with a descent into madness, as I went through the year with the Accuphase DP-500, Arcam FMJ CD33, Arcam FMJ DV139, Arcam FMJ CD36, Bel Canto CD-1, Classe CDP-202, dCS P8i, and Plinius CD-101.

2 - Owned the Grado HP1000/HP2 for awhile and picked up the Qualia 010, my dream dynamics. Aside from a few K701s (for comparing to my Equinox-recabled one), did not buy any other dynamic headphones...

3 - ...but I picked up four electrostatic headphones instead after being enlightened by the HeadAmp BHSE prototype at CanJam '08 - Stax OII MKI, OII MKII, SR-X MKIII, and SR-Lambda, along with the SRM-1 MKII amp, which is temporarily swapped with another Head-Fier's SRM-T1 for the time being.

4 - Also owned the last word in balanced dynamic solid-state amps, the balanced Beta 22, for awhile too.

5 - Created my final portable/ultraportable setup with the Klipsch IMAGE X10 (with iAudio X5) and sold off unused portable amps and cables.

6 - My journey in silver RCA ICs also continued from last year with the VH Audio Spectrum Ag & Symmetry XLR, Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II, Silver Audio Appassionata, Harmonic Technology Pro-Silway MKIII+, and Analysis Plus Silver Oval.

7 - Attended five regional Head-Fi meets - NYC in March, Florida in May, SF Bay in June, Colorado in July, and LA in October. Also attended two audio shows - LA Audio Society in August, RMAF in October. I'll probably never eclipse my record of 5 meets in a year again. :P

8 - And I stopped posting on Head-Fi. Head-Case is my vengeance!

Plans for 2009

1 - To own an electrostatic and balanced dynamic rig simultaneously, at least for a short time. I will not own both long-term and will be looking to pare down to either just the balanced dynamic or electrostatic setup within the first 3 months of the year. Whichever one I keep will be my final system, I will be absolutely done with headphone gear at that point.

2 - Save up for a mid-fi 2.1 speaker rig ($2K-$5K on the fronts).

3 - Maybe dip into vinyl, since I actually have a stash of old LPs in storage now from my parents. Mmmmm, vinyl...

Hoo-boy. I didn't get rid of any gear, save a pair of balanced Cardas ICs I traded to swt61. I did managed to acquire more gear that I never planned, especially given how much I've sunk into my house.

In May I bought a pair of Balanced Beyer DT-880s (2005) off sometime Head-Caser 4N6.

In June I bought a used NAD surround sound receiver, ostensibly to be the new source/amp for my computer rig, for non-music requirements. It didn't work out for me for a number of reasons. At the moment I am ...unsure what I will do with it.

In July I bought a shiny new MacBook. Its purchase wasn't directly related to audio, but with the death of my PC, it's now my most used digital source (# is my 'Pod of course.)

In September, I bought a pair of Quad 12L Actives off eBay, after finding out about them on Head-Case.

In late November, I bought a Quad 99 CDP-2 off eBay, from the same seller.

Just this week, I bought a HeadRoom Balanced Desktop from a Head-Case lurker. It should be here late next week (I hope.)

All this and I still don't have a proper preamp. Clearly, I need to log out from this place and never return. My skin is a lot thicker than my wallet these days. yikes.gif

I had a very quiet year on the audio front, and it doesn't displease me. After receiving my Pico nary a week into the year, it became clear that I had entered a new phase in my headphone gear life. Didn't take long for me to shed the Apogee Mini-DAC, and beyond that it's been a pretty dry year for gear, but not for music.

I did recently add a 4GB Sansa Clip to the stable, and what a great sounding tiny little device (though I could live without the 15-second startup time). Also managed to upgrade my stalwart iRiver iHP-120 with a 32GB CF card in place of the hard drive, and a fat new battery. Hello 24hr+ battery life, and near instant startup!

No idea and I don't really care to find out out of fear and time it would take to compile :)

I actually just searched for "paypal" in gmail and did my research that way. Seems like last year I was able to pull everything from memory, but there was stuff I completely forgot about from the beginning of this year. Headphones in particular are so easy to buy and sell, I've pretty much owned anything I care to listen to besides a few of the big ones.

I forgot, for 2009 I'd like to try some planar speakers. I might take advantage of Maggie's MMG offer.

I downsized my rig a bit. I went from:

Lite DAC-38 -> PPX3 Slam

to Gamma-1 -> PPAv2

I regained so much desk space. I also picked up a Lambda along the way (thanks Deepak!).

For 2009, I'm hoping to explore some other Stax cans or even some Ortho's. I would also like to upgrade my bookshelf setup at one point, but who knows when that will be.

This is going to require some research. Things move around here so fast I can't keep track. I will review paypal records and post. I put out a challenge to my good friend Jp Numbers to post as well. I think I have him beat but it could be close. :)

I still have any item or two to add before the end of the year.

I don't even want to know how many of those transactions will involve my name.

And one you don't even know about, although technically you didn't "pay" for it or even ask for it. ;)

Wow, something else to look forward to. And your name appears in my pp record with increasing frequency, including one more today. :)

I don't know how you guys remember everything.

-Bought cheap integrated amp to use as preamp

-Bought im716

-Bought Rockhopper Mini^3

-Bought another im716 - planned to de-pod it

-Sold im716 - too lazy to de-pod

-Bought X-Statik's

-Bought X-SLS'

-Bought Onkyo TX-SR606

2009 I plan to get a new pre and power amp, possibly a new source as well. We'll see how all of that goes.

I started my head phone journey in 2008 with only some Ety ER-6is for my laptop.

Order is probably all screwed up, but:

Cowon D2

JVC Marshmallows

Koss KSC75

RSA Tomahawk

Grado SR225

AKG K501

Meijer Cords Opera/DAC

Gave Marshmallows to a daughter

Sennheiser HD580

Sold HD580

Yuin PK3

Shure SE530

Sold Tomahawk

JVC Marshmallows & Zune to my wife

Macbook w/"free" ipod touch

Grado RS-1

Sold SR225

JVC HA-DX1000

Bel Canto DAC3

Home theatre - no changes

2008 was my entry into headphones

2009 looking for a head amp

Still feeding my headphones from the mini-dacs` 1/4" but got my first pair of sennheisers (HD650), have a pair of Chocolate Donut MkII`s on the way and am looking forward to the arrival of my rockhopper built balanced beta22 early in the new year.

Plans for next year:

learn more soldering

recable/fix my K340`s

hear some hd600`s

hear some rs-1`s (funds allowing :rolleyes:)

enjoy the sound of my new amp :)

sell on the headphones I no longer have a use for

but things being as they are I will be happy and maybe even content ;) to simply enjoy my amp :)

"The best laid schemes o' mice an' men Gang aft a-gley"

Robert Burns: To A Mouse, On Turning Her Up In Her Nest With The Plough

i predict that in 2009, a heretofore unknown ponzi scheme involving nate and mike selling gear to each other will be uncovered, madoff-like in its size and impact on the audio industry at large. and if you think you aren't involved just because you haven't done business with nate or mike? think again! :o

I have no defined rig so far. Have bought some amps and cans, and I'm still waiting for the B22 this year. Still learning how I like my old cans vs the new ones and what amp suits any of them best. The main purchases:

- R10 bass heavy

- PS-1

- HP-2

- L3000

- Modded D5000

- ESW10

- Klipsch X10

- Gilmore Reference Balanced

- Rudistor RPX100

- Beta 22

No plans for 2009 as for now. Maybe once I learn what I think I've got to, and eventually deciding if selling some stuff, I'd try the O2 route, or maybe tube amps for dynamic cans. Perhaps some EAR HP4 or a TTVJ-Millett 307A is something I'd like to try.

i predict that in 2009, a heretofore unknown ponzi scheme involving nate and mike selling gear to each other will be uncovered, madoff-like in its size and impact on the audio industry at large. and if you think you aren't involved just because you haven't done business with nate or mike? think again! :o

Damn you Jack. Nate, it looks like it's back to the drawing board.

I acquired my Kef iQ9 and Denon AVR-987

I sold my ATH-ES7, Bought an ES7, Sold an ES7.

Bought a W10VTG :prettyprincess:

Bought iTouch32.

Bought a Triple.fi 10, sold TF10. Bought AT EM7, sold EM7.

Was given an ESW9 for an anniversary gift, and that isn't going anywhere.

I bought an A950LTD, dismantled it, and sent the frames to texas.

Currently my rigs are:

work: iTouch -> ESW9

Desk rig: Macbook Pro -> W10VTG / W950LTD

HT: PS3 -> Denon AVR-987 -> Kef 3001 center and rear surrounds, Q1 surrounds, iQ3 fronts, HTB2 sub.

Stereo: Denon 3910 -> AVR-987 -> iQ3

Desk speaker: Macbook pro -> Denon AVR-2300 -> Kef 3001.2

What do I see for 09? Not a hell of a lot, as im financially limited for a while. I'm looking into getting a W1000 for a project, and I wont completely rule out a new DAC and amp, but I'm in no rush.

My biggest 08 change is music. I have greatly increased my CD collection, and I am looking to branch out even more in 09. I'm moving away from the gear, and stir up the love for music.