Nate thinks Jason is a menace2society (the sportbike, not ipod, topic)

n_maher

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New bike = bad idea.

New bike == fantastic idea.

I can afford it, but I'm waiting to decide if I want to spend the cash. I'd be trading in my current one.

If I keep my bike, it needs some work before this season. I could sell it for ~2k, or spend ~1200 on all the parts I need + a carb guy.

I'm giving thought to selling my touch.I haven't used it in about a month, and daddy needs an exhaust for his (pending) new bike. I have my mac with me all day at school, and I'm probably going to pickup a shuffle for workouts. I don't know if I need my touch anymore.

So you'd finally saved up enough for that Hyosung you've had your eye on, eh?

I commute my bike now, which have the same issues you mention. I seem to deal with them just fine. (EDIT: it takes me a few weeks to adapt to the riding position)
With all due respect, no they don't. Your katana has as much a sport riding position as my Sprint. The handlebars are mounted above the triple clamp, which makes a huge difference. And if you think your legs are at all cramped on your current ride you're in for a painful experience on any of the 600 supersports. My brother owned both a GSXR650 and 750 and I rode them both, they bring the SUCK for commuting. I'd rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick than ride that style of bike anywhere outside a racetrack.

Insurance is pricey on the new bike, however. 1800 as opposed to about 800 on my current bike

.I pay less than $300/yr for my Sprint and insurance was the reason I'm not on a VFR. Even when I was your age it was 1/3 what a VFR would have been despite having a larger motor and being worth more.

My dilemma, however: is it worth it to spend even 7-800 on a bike worth 2k? As it is, I don't trust it. I've gotten stuck as it is, and need to carry starting fluid as a precaution. *sigh*
That's hard to say, could you really get $2k for it knowing that it needs that much work?

That's hard to say, could you really get $2k for it knowing that it needs that much work?

I have been offered 1800 from a dealer, I'm fairly confident I can pull 2200 or so privately.

I guess I wouldn't really know how the commute would feel on the GSXR until after I bought it, which would be too late. Its 50 miles one way, FWIW.

Once it gets warm, I don't have to worry about it not starting. I'm hoping my father can take care of the carbs. He's looking into it, but hasn't done them in quite a while, even longer on a motorcycle.

Tires are coming up soon. I'll need them mounted, and since I don't have stands, it might be best to just have the shop deal with it. We can do brakes just fine.

It's a thought I've been entertaining, as I never liked the Katana to begin with. I always wanted the GSXR, but thought I should start on something more tame.

i'd suggest something like a K1200GT. sweet bike.

Whoa there homeboy, I'm on a RA salary here.

I have a lot to think about. I found instructions for a carb-sync, so I can do the work myself for most of it. As much as I'd love the GSXR, I'm taking a major paycut as of this week, and the extra money might be a good idea.

A lot to ponder, for sure.