Stacker II

Guest sacd lover

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sacd lover

I think my amp looks awesome .... but JPs looks even better. I like the red wood. I didnt think I would. The tube socket rings/ elevators or whatever you call them for JPs amp are very cool. Looks like he used a 5AR4 rectifier vs the 5U4G/5AS4 on mine; although the tube could be a fat bottle 5U4GB. Don did an incredible job on these amps.

Picture025.jpg

I think my amp looks awesome .... but JPs looks even better. I like the red wood. I didnt think I would. The tube socket rings/ elevators or whatever you call them for JPs amp are very cool. Looks like he used a 5AR4 rectifier vs the 5U4G/5AS4 on mine; although the tube could be a fat bottle 5U4GB. Don did an incredible job on these amps.

Thanks Earl. As for which looks better, I honestly like them both equally. JP's does use the 5AR4 but they are otherwise pretty much equal.

Please, please tell me that the donut trafo isn't going to stay exposed like that. I mean I'm a champion of the industrial, no frills aesthetic but those transformers stick out like a sore thumb on what are otherwise gorgeous amps.
Heh Nate, it burned me to have to make the call to put it topside. I have been looking for small covers for JP's amp and am still toying with a different strategy for Earl's. I initially didn't think I would like the trafo's exposed on Earl's but I do. JP's was only meant to have the central trafo but space and noise concerns changed that harmony. Perhaps we can find a skilled worker of wood to turn one out of the Padouk that the sides are made of :P

any links to options welcomed ..dB

I see no problem with providing an exit out the side of the enclosure to allow you route the wires, especially if that makes sourcing the enclosure an easier task. I'd just drill a hole in the side of one of those that you linked to, install a simple rubber grommet and be done with it. FWIW the ones that you linked to are exactly what I was thinking of.

• 2 weeks later...
The trafo is approx 63mm , I would need to clear the wires too or make a cut out in the side so the cover would ideally have an external diameter of 90mm

This is one I looked into but it is only 80mm - it could be made to work ..dB

while Don I'm sure will chime in after a bit, they are really DIY stuff. Don agreed to build mine after we met at the Vacuum State of the Art Conference last year as a favor.

Picture025.jpg

I've got serious wood after seeing these, btw Don's orange amp in the center is what started this whole thing. It sounds incredible and was built for far less that the parts and case I chose. This may be the way to go for future builds when the boards show up.

Earl I really like the look of both of these I went four pin to accommodate headphones that I'll likely be selling in the near future to fund the hd800

while Don I'm sure will chime in after a bit, they are really DIY stuff. Don agreed to build mine after we met at the Vacuum State of the Art Conference last year as a favor.

yep , these are one offs. Developed after an ongoing discussion between Alex and myself and formed into reality after JP's ( and later Earl's ) interest . There is more to come, and patience will be your friend.

I wasn't able to see the pictures before (strange), but all three look great. What is the rough parts cost minus a fancy case?

in DIY that's a bit like asking someone "how long's a piece of string" - both these amps were custom built ground up. I did use the buffer boards from the original for Earl's build but that's it. I would have to go back and strip the amps down ( virtually of course - no way I am doing this again ) to see what would be considered standard vs upgrade. But it is B22 ballpark - fewer parts but some are more pricey.

They are gorgeous.

I hope you guys enjoy yours.

if only a PDX visit were on the cards, we have a meet coming up at the end of the month and Earl has agreed to showcase the amp. ( I thought JP's would be en-route to him by then - hopefully the case. ) I may have to drop mine off with you at some point if I pass by, I think you would appreciate the experience ( it didn't like USPS the last time it went on a road trip ) :palm:

..dB

if only a PDX visit were on the cards, we have a meet coming up at the end of the month and Earl has agreed to showcase the amp. ( I thought JP's would be en-route to him by then - hopefully the case. ) I may have to drop mine off with you at some point if I pass by, I think you would appreciate the experience ( it didn't like USPS the last time it went on a road trip ) :palm:

..dB

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Updated pics for Nate :P

Picture002-1.jpg

Picture001.jpg

I was originally just going to tap a screw through the lid but couldn't bring myself to do it. So I stripped the psu section out and drilled out new holes for mounting the wires through the screw down base - top just screws on and off - very neat system.

should be shipped out to JP#s by the end of the week. Waiting for new transformer for Earl's but enjoying the eyecandy while I have them ..dB

aaah , now it makes sense why he was asking if I could have shipped it last week. That is a pity. Hopefully he will take it to Canjam ..dB

Don't sweat, he may never leave Atlanta airport at the rate he is going. In which case, I get all his gear. :) It will be at CJ '09, look forward to giving it a listen.