A Question of Amplification

postjack

VSM-MX. A fair compromise which works very well into the room.

I really want to hear the TSM-MM some day, sounds like a pretty magical speaker.

So I've tried the Diament 1/3rd method before, but not in this room and not with any type of room treatment, so I decided to give it a shot. The method is outlined on this page, but basically the idea for the speaker setup is:

1) Distance between the speakers, measured from the inside edges, is 1/3rd the length of the wall behind them, which in my case is the short wall.

2) Distance between the speakers and the wall behind them, measured from the front edge to the wall, is 1/3rd the length of the side walls, which in my case is the long walls.

3) Distance between the speakers and listening position is just beyond the width between speakers found on step 1.

My room is 14' by 17', so this puts my speakers at 4.66' apart from each other, 5.66' from the back wall, and myself at maybe about 7' from the speakers.

Per Barry's suggestions, I used significantly more toe-in then I'm used to, trying to aim the speakers towards the center of the wall behind my listening chair. In the past I have dreaded to use too much toe-in, because less toe-in means less brightness, at least it does with the Quads. I think part of the problem of my previous toe-in philosophy is that I would use toe-in to try to compensate for brightness caused by the room, so I'd end up sacrificing midrange purity and imaging for less brightness.

So imagine my surprise when I cranked up the speakers and experienced much less brightness then I thought I would! And a very pleasant bass response as well, which I really wasn't expecting, since the speakers were pulled much further off the wall then they were before, about double the length they were previously.

I listened like this throughout the weekend, but eventually I got to missing the mirror on the left wall (Jacob's advice about the speakers living in the space and the music serving me up in my head), so my always kick ass girlfriend helped me hoist it back up there. For Sunday night's listening session, I draped a heavy blanket over the mirror, and it has achieved the desired effect. Excited by this, I draped another heavy blanket over the TV, and of course I closed the drapes on all the windows. The cumulative result I can only describe as a much more HD650 like sound, which to me is a good thing since I love the HD650. There still some treble excitement going on in the room, but much less.

However, it was the final tweak this evening that really wow'ed me the most. I pulled back on the toe-in just a tad, I mean really just a little bit, and when I sat back down and started listening, something pretty amazing happened: the speakers actually kind've disappeared. I've read of the 22Ls that they aren't the kind of speaker that disappears in a room, so I never really expected to be able to pull this off, but it happened. It wasn't a perfect disappearance, but I've always been able to say "yup, thats coming from the right speaker", and this time I couldn't. The soundstage was actually consistent all across the front of me, and projected behind the speakers and above them as well. Let me tell you, it was really, really neat. Lot of Diament going on here, but the album I first played after I noticed my rig's new imaging capability's was Yes "Close to the Edge". It sounded marvelous, huge, and epic, just like it should.

I tested a few different albums, but it was really a rip of the Derek Trucks Band "Songlines Live" DVD that convinced me of what I was hearing: drums were big and had impact, same with the bass, but most of all it was Derek's guitar, which sounded exactly like it was coming screaming out of a huge Marshall amp cranked up to 11 and into a mid-size venue. Loud, raw, intense, but not bright or fatiguing, just true. I could really crank up the volume and not at any point wince from the treble.

So this is all really good stuff! I know this is like the 100th revelation I've had with my speaker setup, but I have a lot of fun playing around with them, and I do appreciate all the feedback and encouragement I get from the community.

I will be purchasing some sort of treatments in the coming year. The ASC stuff seems more versatile, but pricey compared to the Echo Busters products.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations Jack. Keep trying things like small adjustments on toe-in and speakers separation, you could find that they completely disappear. In fact I'm quite sure they will ;) So far, that you have found a tonal balance you can enjoy and is not bright anymore is a very good thing.

Regarding the TSM-MM, they're very nice monitors. They offer one of the best mid bass response I know of in any speaker, and are quite less finicky about amps than the VSM, though they can sound really wonderful with the adequate ones.