Windows advice.

I've had the luxury of making my own Mac computing arrangements for both work and play over the last decade or more -- so I haven't really used a version of Windows since 95. Anyway, I'm about to buy a new laptop for my mom and was wondering what I should do about the OS -- is Vista really bad enough that I need to go get a copy of XP instead? She's in her 70s and uses the PC pretty much exclusively for email, Flickr and Skype video chats with the grandkids. Simplicity and stability are key -- as she's also 8,000 miles away and tech support is me. And no, she doesn't want a Macbook. :(

If that's all she does, get her anything, I think they can all handle that. Even vista.

Yep. Moreover MS is about releasing a new OS in a few months when the beta phase is over. When this happens, they will most likely stop supporting the older OS, which is XP, then no new security updates, drivers...

Vista sucks and I hate it, but for elementary tasks it works more or less as anything else. You start to be in trouble when trying to install drivers, program updates, codecs, some software... all things your mom won't be doing on her own.

... is Vista really bad enough that I need to go get a copy of XP instead?
Yes, but I think they come with the option to downgrade automatically, if you look for the right combination.

That said, you could get it to work, shouldn't be that much of a problem. My understanding of Skype is that it's pretty well supported.

Yep. Moreover MS is about releasing a new OS in a few months when the beta phase is over. When this happens, they will most likely stop supporting the older OS, which is XP, then no new security updates, drivers...

Vista sucks and I hate it, but for elementary tasks it works more or less as anything else. You start to be in trouble when trying to install drivers, program updates, codecs, some software... all things your mom won't be doing on her own.

They won't stop support for XP for a very long time.

Windows 2000 is still supported.

I think I've heard 2015 tossed around, which is a pretty long time in computer years. They certainly can't stop support on it when they release 7 or whatever they're going to call it. Christ, they have to call Vista friggen Mojave to get people not to pan it the minute they look at it.

Windows 2000 is still supported.

I wish they won't however it's been an usual MS practice to stop supporting more than 2 OS for pro or home use at the same time. Maybe they keep supporting XP and stop doing on Vista hahahaha. If that 2015 prediction is right, we'll be fine.

Anyway, I'm about to buy a new laptop for my mom and was wondering what I should do about the OS -- is Vista really bad enough that I need to go get a copy of XP instead? She's in her 70s and uses the PC pretty much exclusively for email, Flickr and Skype video chats with the grandkids. Simplicity and stability are key -- as she's also 8,000 miles away and tech support is me. And no, she doesn't want a Macbook. :(

Does she not want the MB because of cost? An older iBook would fit the bill perfectly and be cheaper. Also, it crossed my mind to recommend you get her a Macbook and just tell her it's the "new Vista"... >:D

More seriously, I just researched this myself as my Dad needed a new PC for his business, and he wanted to stick with XP for compatibility reasons. There were only two options available to us - get a Netbook with XP already installed (cheap, does the job very well, but tiny screen a problem), or get a Macbook and bootcamp with XP (what we ended up doing). All the other laptops ran Vista only and there was no gurantee of XP driver support with the brands available at Future Shop (big Canadian compy retailer). We went with the Macbook, but perhaps a netbook or eee PC + monitor/kb/mouse is a cheap, viable option?

Vista is fine for what she is going to do. Also, as others have mentioned support for XP will be for a long while :).

Agreed - my cousin's family using Vista for everything and they get along fine.