ATH-ESW9

humanflyz

It has been a very long time since I've been in the market for a semi-full sized, closed headphone. The last one I had was the AKG K81DJ. I liked that pair of cans well enough, except for the comfort: they pinched my ears like no other, and I can't wear them for more than half an hour without feeling discomfort.

From what I've gathered, people here like the ATH-ESW9 for a semi-full sized closed headphone. The fact that they are supposed to sound decent straight out of an iPod also makes them appealing. However, I still have concerns about comfort. I have big ears that are long but not wide. So most headphones end up pinching my the top and bottom of my earlobes, and that's where the discomfort comes from. That is also the reason why I find full-sized Senn headphones to be the most comfortable because of their somewhat elongated oval shape.

I know the ESW9 is not fully circumaural, and neither do they have the ideal shape. But I'm just wondering, from people who've had both the ESW9 and the K81DJ (since that's my only frame of reference), are their earpads similar in size? And how much do the ESW9 clamp? I have a medium sized head.

My other concern is whether the ESW9 have that "AT" sound, by which I mean do they sound like the W5000s? I did not like the W5000s because they had what I thought is a disproportionate emphasis on the upper midrange, which consequently made them bass-lean IMO. Now I'm even more of a basshead, so if the ESW9 share that trait, I'd be worried.

Finally, I see that HeadRoom sells the ESW9A, is that different from the regular ESW9?

Soundwise they are on the warm side, but if you want to get best out of them, amp may be need it.

Comfort is better than K81DJ, they are lighter and do not push that much in the beginning.

The fact that they arent fully circumaural makes them slightly less comfy, but if you use them daily they will become better, however your ears will sweat sometimes, well, my did...

I just got the ESW9's and it's been some time since I had the K81DJ's, but the AT's are definitely more comfortable. An hour or so was the best I could do on the AKG's but I've been using the AT's at work since getting them and can do multi-hour sessions with no problem. Clamping force is way less than the AKG's.

I'd agree with Blackmore on the amp. Though not bad straight out of my iPhone, these really do well with an amp. And bass is not going to blow you away, but it is in no means lacking. I find them to be much truer to the music than the 81DJ's were.

But like anything else, YMMV!

I've got a *big* head, and am the fidgety sort...... but despite this the ESW9 are pretty damn comfortable. Much moreso than, say, my Alessandro MS-1 with either bowls or comfies. Clamping pressure is pretty high at first, but they loosen up with gentle flexing.

They do sound very good straight out of an iPod. An amp improves things but is certainly not required. Certainly not bass lean - not compared to my AD900 anyway.

My biggest criticism is that they don't offer very high levels of isolation, just a mild muffling. But when I want good isolation, I use my SuperFi instead.

They don't isolate that well but don't leak (I listened on a subway train and my sister couldn't hear it). The sound is certainly very nice, and the comfort gets better over time. I can't leave them on for more than 2 hours before starting to feel some pain where my glasses are, but I've gotten used to that. They sit *on* your ears so your earlobes shouldn't affect it at all.

The main reason why I sold them was need in funds, but, if I must be critical they are definitely need an good portable amp.

This is a bit out of topic, but the most positive shock I have got with them was when I used them with Zana, but the short cable and not that great comfort starting annoying you, especially cable. I would say, if you don't have some high end hp at home, they would offer you some nice all-round solution, but when you use them like 20-30 minutes a day as portable, yeah I know, I walk to my work, then think again, cos there are some other hp up there, like ES7, which fit my portable needs fully...Huge step up from K81DJ, imo.

If you can, try them first, amped and without one.

• 3 months later...

Well, my interest in this phone has been revived again, now that I've pretty much sold everything else.

I am just curious, because IIRC, Boomana said that there could be possibly two different production runs of these phones, each sounding a little bit differently? Has anyone else heard and/or could verify this?

humanflyz I don't know about the two different production runs, but I wanted to confirm that I had the same experience as blackmore in regards to the comfort between the K81dj and the ESW9. I found the ESW9s more comfortable and they didn't put much pressure like the K81DJ.

Well, my interest in this phone has been revived again, now that I've pretty much sold everything else.

I am just curious, because IIRC, Boomana said that there could be possibly two different production runs of these phones, each sounding a little bit differently? Has anyone else heard and/or could verify this?

I have own two different version of this headphone. They did sound different. The early version was not as good as the later version.

I found the ESW9's far more comfy than K81DJ's. I gather I had the brighter variety which sounded a bit hard in the treble but still closer to W100's than W1000's. They have a decent amount of bass which also has decent extension. Mids on mine did have a tendency towards a honkiness similar to what the W100's I had exhibited. Overall not a bad headphone although a bit on the expensive side for what it is.

My biggest problem was trying to figure out what role it would play in my setups. It's not good enough to be the at home full sized headphone with too little isolation and too expensive to play second fiddle to IEM's at work. Plus I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving them at work and I wouldn't want to be carting them around with me. Ultimately I ended up swapping them with another local headphone geek.

• 5 months later...

ESW9 is a fun can. A can for cross genre.....a can thats forgiving, a can that's comfortable, a can that have can do attitude. I read somewhere that this can is the best portable can that will beat any IEM except custom, having not heard any customs but heard some of the high end universal iem, I tend to agree.... .....just dont expect it for critical listening......

• 2 weeks later...