Shure SE530 First impressions from an IEM newbie (FWIW)

recstar24

The shure se530's came in today. Was able to play with them a good chunk of time due to no school. I mainly was using my moth si2a3/45H with meridian as I am still waiting on my new 6g ipod to come in.

The fit is excellent to my ears, nice and easy to insert, stays in place, and all the tips work just fine. I would say the triple flange is really awkward and I probably won't bother with it anymore because it places it too far out the ear. I tried the small rubber ones and the medium sized olive foam I believe, those are the ones I like so far. The olive foam though seems to fit in more snug and seems to isolate much better, though the smaller rubber tips go in and out faster.

I am really impressed with the sound. I guess I was somewhat expecting the shure e5 soung sig and did not hear that at all, what the se530 provides is a league above and beyond what the e5 was. The highs were excellent, and I did not hear any rolloff or veil up top whatsoever. With the small rubber tip there is just a tad bit of sibilance and hotness up top, but I think I am still working and experimenting to get the fit just right. The foams are a tad darker but still very detailed, nice sparkle and no rolloff to my ears.

I really like the bass presentation. Not muddy at all, very tight and impactful, not bloomy or saggy nor does it mask or muddy the mids. It reminds me just a bit of the HP-1000 bass response, has that same kind of linearity that I am used to, I am super impressed by it. The e5 bass could get kind of ridiculous at times, but the se530 bass is extremely controlled and just really really good bass response the way I like it. If I am being picky maybe there could be just a bit more bass body and bloom but as it stands the bass response is way superior to the e5 bass and I think it could compete with my HP-1000's (which should be coming in by the end of the week woot)

The midrange is pretty fantastic, but with the e5's I owned and playing with the e500's I always felt the shure guys knew where the magic in the music was. Somewhat forward, but not overly obtrusive of the whole picture. Very engaging quality. Overall imaging is excellent, and though the soundstage is typical of an IEM, I do get a nice sense of air and ambiance. OF course, using Emission Labs 45 tubes through Electraprint iron does not hurt either.

Qualms? For some reason, there is just a tad of hotness up top, maybe somewhere between 5-10 khz. I think this is more a fit issue and I am sure my ears will adjust and I will eventually get the fit perfect. As mentioned previously, could use a bit more body and bloom in the bass, again could be attributed to fit. Other than that, very comfortable for the past couple of hours I have had them on and excellent sound through the moth. BTW - I never realized how dead silent the moth is, no hum, no hiss, no noise, just the occasional tube ping here and there, but what a well designed amp Craig made here to be dead silent on sensitive IEM's.

Questions: I believe the serial # is 0568 (it was written on the cable modular connection next to se530). Do I have to worry about the cable splitting issue, or is this cable the new formula that prevents that? What are your thoughts on the comply tips?

Thanks for taking the time.

Questions: I believe the serial # is 0568 (it was written on the cable modular connection next to se530). Do I have to worry about the cable splitting issue, or is this cable the new formula that prevents that? What are your thoughts on the comply tips?

My understanding is that Shure will replace the IEMs if the cable cracks, so if this pair happens to be one of the old batch, if it ever fails, you'll get a new pair with a better cable.

About the Complys, they are comparable to the black olives in terms of comfort, but they deteriorate much more quickly. Also, they're grey, so it becomes quite ugly after a week or two of daily usage. Medium olive foamies are my tip of choice.

If the triple flange is sticking out of your ear, you aren't sticking it in far enough. You really really have to fuck yourself to get it in there. Personally I could never get the triple flange on my eties to get comfy, not because of its size, but because the material made my ears itch like mad, so I was always ripping them out to scratch.

Glad you like them and your impressions match mine as well, especially regarding bass presentation.

I use the med. olives as well. While I agree with reks that the tri-flange sound best, I can't use them; they make my ears itch as well. That and frankly, I'm only willing to shove things so far into my orafices for great sound...;)

I've never been able to get a good seal with the tri flange tips. I think that some people's ears have more abrupt curve to them than other preventing that long sleeve from going in properly. When I'd stick them in my ear all the way it would crimp the tube and there would be no sound coming out.

I'm glad to hear some more good impressions of these headphones since my pair are going to be waiting for me in my mail box today. How exciting.

I prefer the medium black olives on the SE530s but the tri-flange on the Etymotic ER-6is when I had them. I really never found the tri-flange all that comfortable and I prefer the end result with the olives. I didn't care for the bass with the tri-flanges and I found they slightly recessed the mids.

I hate too the triflanges, never liked in my ER4Ps nor X10s or Shure.

My favourite(s) by far are Comply (of the right size). I do much motorbiking and I found years ago a good source of ear protectors, and they are almost identical to Comply (very smooth).

Yes they are a bit fragile, but... I do not have thoots in my ears... :rolleyes:

And yes they get dirty, but I clean them (and everything in-ear related) with a medical soap (antyseptic with clorhexidine) and, letting them dry time enough, they go again.

Btw I am surprised you cannot hear any hiss/hum noises from the Moth... being all tube, must be a hell of an amp/psu: I do use my E500s to find noises in new/modded amps!

Thanks guys for your comments, good to know that the shure se530 has withstood somewhat the FOTM of the westone 3 and triple fi10 as well as the other balanced armature universal.s To my ears, the shure guys way back with the e4 and e5 to now, simply understood what music is supposed to sound like.

Reks, I will experiment with the triflanges more. I loved the triflanges and used them exclusively with the e5. But these triflanges for some reason just don't sit well inside my ear when I tried it. I will try shortening the stalks a little bit more than where I had them, and pj I will try again and literally give them a nice wedge in there, though I don't like the idea of shoving things too far down that canal wink wink.

JBLoudG20, do you snip the smallest flange or the largest one?

Medium olives are good for me, though I think the smaller olives would work better as I have pretty small canals for really big ears.

I really liked my SE530, but I just sold them since I cannot use IEMs with my newish job. Amazing mids and lows, and decent high-end...

By far my favorite tips are Klipsch oval bi-flanges. They area a bit smaller than tri-flanges and the oval shape is great for reducing pressure on the inner ear. The seal is great, they sound great, and they feel good. Klipsch did a really great job with these, though they don't seem to sell them individually.

I'm also curious about Ety's smaller, softer tri-flanges...