New Mac minis are out.

For music purpose (and maybe a little bit of simple Wordprocessing at the same time) is it:

1) an obligation to change the 5400 rpm HD for a 7200 rpm HD?

No, but go for the 7200 anyway if the price difference is not too big, you'll appreciate the faster speed.

2) an obligation to go from 2g to 4g memory?

Yes, but don't buy it from Apple.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for a music server, you don't need a faster drive or more memory. 2gb and a 5400 rpm drive is fine. People like to upgrade for no discernable reason other than the ability to say theirs is faster. For music, it just doesn't matter.

I'm using the previous generation Mac Mini with the slower processor, 1Gb Ram and the 80Gb HD. It is more than fast enough and I have noticed absolutely nothing that would indicate any need to upgrade anything except for perhaps the shitty monitor I'm using because I was trying to do this as cheaply as possible.

for a music server, you don't need a faster drive or more memory. 2gb and a 5400 rpm drive is fine. People like to upgrade for no discernable reason other than the ability to say theirs is faster. For music, it just doesn't matter.
Agreed, but (a) I'd be hard pressed not to use a computer -- any computer -- for something else, and (B) "...the ability to say..." -- heck, I don't even say it, I just like moar memory and moar faster speedier because I like moar memory and moar faster speedier. I'm shallow, and I'm at peace with that.

If you're getting the new mac mini (with the video chipset), you'll be able to do 1080p video straight out of the box, with the slow drive and 2gb of ram. That's significantly more taxing than anything you'll do with audio short of a protools setup...

If you're getting the new mac mini (with the video chipset), you'll be able to do 1080p video straight out of the box, with the slow drive and 2gb of ram. That's significantly more taxing than anything you'll do with audio short of a protools setup...

Really??

Does this mean I could hook a Mini up to my 52" Sharp Aquos LCD?

I sent an iPod at Colorware not too long ago and was a bit surprise by the lack of refinement the paint was showing. On the other hand they are offering to do your own personal choice. So it can be ask something like:

Please do a ''classy job'' with my audio gear I'm not street racing with it... ;)

Amicalement