n00b questions alert

Smeggy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Question on umbilical for my beta/fet/EHHA.

As many of you know I'm planning on sharing one sigma 22 between 3 amps in one big case. Is there any reason not to use a standard 3-core power lead as an umbilical from psu to amp? I ask because they're cheap, decent length, easy to find leads and sockets and they tend to be decent gauge copper. I can put three IEC sockets in a row on the back of the amp and even have them switched/fused if needed.

I see many specialized connectors used or built for these and other amps and wondered if there was any logical reason not to use plain old IEC parts.

Question on umbilical for my beta/fet/EHHA.

As many of you know I'm planning on sharing one sigma 22 between 3 amps in one big case. Is there any reason not to use a standard 3-core power lead as an umbilical from psu to amp? I ask because they're cheap, decent length, easy to find leads and sockets and they tend to be decent gauge copper. I can put three IEC sockets in a row on the back of the amp and even have them switched/fused if needed.

I see many specialized connectors used or built for these and other amps and wondered if there was any logical reason not to use plain old IEC parts.

Because at some point, or a meeting, someone will connect AC mains to the IEC socket ( because thats what they are used for, right?), and you won't like the outcome, and will regret this decision.:palm:

Other people have mentioned Amphenol umbilicals in the past.

Safety would be my main concern and IEC's are a pain to work with. There are plenty of cheap 3 pin connectors out there that won't risk burning up the amp. If you need wire for the umbilical then you can just raid some old computer PSU for 16AWG/300v copper wire. I would also shield it with some copper mesh but it's not really needed.

Safety would be my main concern and IEC's are a pain to work with. There are plenty of cheap 3 pin connectors out there that won't risk burning up the amp. If you need wire for the umbilical then you can just raid some old computer PSU for 16AWG/300v copper wire. I would also shield it with some copper mesh but it's not really needed.

Agreed. You do not want to use any connector type that is commonly used for something else. Examples: IEC, XLR, RCA, etc. As Grahame pointed out, someone is going to plug the wrong thing in at some point.

I haven't tried the Neutrik Powercon/Speakons, but I have used the JAE aluminum housed connectors and like them. Available in up to 16ga pins (solder), so good for most applications unless you need real high power handling. Similar to the Amphenol mil connectors but more reasonably priced.

For some reason, Mouser only stocks these with the chassis connector with male pins and the cable connector with female, which is backwards for a power supply chassis connector IMHO. Digikey carries the female pin chassic connectors.